1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Abs and staring issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 10:49 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Abs and staring issues

I got my injector pump changed out and new injectors. The mechanic said it was idling way to high with my old pump. He got everything installed it ran great that was two weeks ago. The brakes now work intermittently the abs light comes on and off. Sometimes the brakes will work fine and the next time I stop I have to almost pull against the steering wheel to stop it. Like it has no brake boost. Also now when I start it I have to turn the key about three or more times to finely kick it off. I never had any starting issues before. It smokes really bad for a minute or two after start up. Would injectors cause and vacuum issues on the brake side? The vacuum pump is not very old. The injectors r 40hp over stock. Any help would be great, thanks

Old 09-30-2012, 03:19 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Injectors have nothing to do with vacuum at all.
Check your vacuum lines bad lines will sometimes cause a come and go problem.
The ABS light on older models comes on and off sometimes beacuse of the rear ABS sensor going bad or bad connections.
As for the hard starting....It turns over fast but wont fire? or its sluggish turning over?
Spinning fast and not firing right up sounds like a leaking line letting fuel run back to the tank.

Old 09-30-2012, 06:35 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

ABS and brake light also comes on when the low vacuum sensor sences low vacuum in the system. it is mounted on the driverside wheel well by the firewall. Check all the vacuum lines and also are the vents still switching in the HVAC. Because if you have no vacuum it will not switch from vents, floor, to defrost or switch very slow if vacuum is low.

Old 09-30-2012, 09:54 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The vents shift good. I think maybe the idle is to low when it starts its smokes like hell and even the exhaust fumes have a different smell. It didn't do this prior to the pump switch.