1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Getrag trans removal questions/internal questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 12:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getrag trans removal questions/internal questions

Hey everyone!

I recently bought a 92 W350 with the getrag 360. the guy i bought it from said it only went 6000 miles in the past 4 years so i wasnt surprised when i got some leaks from the 450 mile drive home. it also gave me a reason to tear into it and fix the KDP, timing case bolts and front main seal.

but the part that leaked the most was the adapter plate on the back of the getrag that you bolt the transfer case too. it looks like its held in by 6 bolts, 3 on the inside on the trans and 3 on the outside. i could see the oil running out between this adapter plate and trans. luckily it must have started once i got near home as i didnt lose much.

so im in the process of trying to get the trans out so i can replace the gasket and tighten the bolts. my questions are;

-can i get the these bolts from the top cover of the trans without taking out the gears?

-how hard is it to replace work on these transmissions? should i find professional help? or fairly simple yourself?

-what else should i replace/checkout/do?

-my truck repair manual says to just unbolt the trans from the clutch housing(bellhousing im guessing), should i do that instead of unbolting the bell housing? or will i have to either way to line up the clutch and pressure plate and input shaft.

-i read something about preloading the gears and shimming them? im pretty sure when i take this adapter plate off to re gasket ill be messing with that. how do i go about redoing that. i do have to getrag repair manual, but hearing/reading it explained from someone is always different.

im in the middle of disassembling it right now to drop it so the sooner the better on some stuff but if not im sure ill figure it out or bring it somewhere.

thanks!

Attached Thumbnails Getrag trans removal questions/internal questions-photo-4.jpg  
Old 09-04-2012, 08:18 AM

well.. after getting the top of the trans off i come to find out the 4* bolts i thought were inside the trans for the adapter plate the heads broke off. but got the trans out gears and syncos look good. going to replace all seals i can.

anyyyyy tips and how toos on this would be awesome!

Old 09-04-2012, 08:43 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't know enough yet, if I turn my truck up any more, I'm positive I gonna find out by tearing up overdrive with the engine chewing up fifth gear!

Old 09-04-2012, 10:57 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

If your just changing the gaskets and well a few bolts. They all go into the trans from the outside not the inside. Anyway as long as your not changing any bearings or anything you won't need to re-shim it, just make sure you don't loose and and when you put em back in put a lil grease on each shim. It will hold them together a lot better while you reinstall the tail housing.

Also if you have the getrag 360 rebuild manual and have the time remove the input n output shafts n check all those bearings. same with the lower shaft see if yo can wiggle the shaft at all. My 93 blew out the bearing between the input n output randomly one night n left me walking. Luckily I was headed down my driveway going home.

Old 09-04-2012, 04:48 PM
Site Sponsor
Received 636 Likes on 254 Posts

http://www.dieselpowernetwork.net/Ge...360-manual.pdf

if its all out replace the rear main seal get one from cummins only aftermarket ones dont hold up

Old 09-04-2012, 06:41 PM

thanks for the replys.

yeah i found out that those bolt heads were broken off and looked like they were inside. specially cause it was all 4 on one side.

i dont have any of the gears out yet. im not sure if im going to yet but dad and i might take them out to check play and everything.

ive heard about these gears being preloaded? what is that about?, and am i messing with that when i take the transfer case adapter plate off?

there is a tiny bit of wiggle in the input shaft? not sure if its bad or just normal.

cant wait to get her back on the road!

Old 09-04-2012, 08:33 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

Nope that wont mess with it.

Old 09-04-2012, 11:54 PM

on a side note whats good tranny temp gauge for the getrag? any kits that comes with all the pieces you need? and wheres the best place to put the probe in the trans?