12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

Major Trans Problem….

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 11:49 PM
FormerVendor
Received 136 Likes on 121 Posts

It had no trouble going to work today I called Dave Goerend and he said to remove the relay and see if that helps well i have had no problems today. However tonight on the way home i stuck the relay back in just to see what happened. It ran fine so i pulled over and pulled it out when i did the relay was warm not hot but not cold like the others in there. I have also noticed that with the relay out i cant go into 1st gear manually and it seems like my converter is slipping more than ever but i think that's because its trying to start in 2nd when im in first or second or in third if im in drive. any thoughts on what else i might try to me it seems like a classic symptom of having a problem but it not reveling itself when you need it to.

Chris

Old 02-24-2008, 12:04 AM
Bombardier
Received 607 Likes on 502 Posts

sounds to me like the lockup circuit inside the tranny is going bad. mine did that exact thing as yours and it last locked up and choked the motor down 3 feet before it went on the lift to put the new Goerend tranny in.....

Another MORE THAN SATISFIED GOEREND CUSTOMER.

oh ya DM... my tranny will knock yer fillings out of yer teeth if just easing into the throttle but wide open it's a nice firm smooth shift..... i have a TIGHT converter.... it's tight at about 1650rpm

Old 02-24-2008, 12:14 AM
FormerVendor
Received 136 Likes on 121 Posts

Thanks for the help guys. Any idea why the relay was so hot?

Chris

Old 02-24-2008, 09:01 PM
Bombardier
Received 607 Likes on 502 Posts

sounds like something in the lockup circuit, wether it's the relay itself or the lockup solonoid, is going bad. you could replace the relay with a new one to see if that is the problem. when you remove the relay you disable the lockup circuit so inturn you have a non lockup converter like you said above it feels like it is slipping, it's only not in lockup.... i'd try the relay first and then go inside and replace the lockup solonoids. it ain't a cheap fix as mine 4 years ago was ~350 bux for 2 or 3 solonoids in the tranny to be replaced.