12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

no smoke and breaking up

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 12:41 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default no smoke and breaking up

My truck is completely stock other than the 5" exhaust i put on tonight. It doesn't smokeno matter what I do or even at first start up. Also, when i free rev it, it breaks up and doesn't rev smooth. I just put a new short block in it and am pretty sure I got the pump back in time because it runs smoothand my buddy said its one of the smoothest 12 valves he has drove and rode in. My buddy said it smoked a little white tonight after the exhaust when i revd it but the truck was cold and it was 60° out. The exhaust that was on it before stopped right after the catalytic converter right past the end of the cab so i don't know if it ever smoked before.

Old 06-02-2012, 12:48 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 143 Likes on 125 Posts

:banghead:Are you looking for black smoke? If so this is not the place to ask my friend. 98% of the guys on here won't even look at this thread. Why dl you want to produce "SMOKE" ?? only thing it does is harm the diesel sport and diesel enthusiasts reputations. But try putting a intake on it and then the bag the intake came in put it over the air filter :thumbup:

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Old 06-02-2012, 05:34 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

where did the idea come from that smoke is good or means anything but too much fuel?

i cant lie i like to see it some too but there is a time and place for it. and that time is not in front of the judgmental eyes of tree huggers

Old 06-02-2012, 08:39 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

I'm not trying to get it to smoke! The diesel's I have seen throws a small puff a grey smoke om start up and hazes a little when you get into. I just want to make sure there is enough fuel there because between it not smoking Any at all and it breaking up when i try to free rev it, I feel like there is a lean fuel issue. If i wanted it to smoke I would take the stock fuel plate out.

Old 06-02-2012, 09:14 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 104 Likes on 101 Posts

you could have a faulty OFV... i had a similair situation a year or so back free reving. it would run great but coughed and spuddered in neutral when you smacked the go peddle. buy a tork valve or stretch the stock spring and see it that helps. also if your gov springs are factory you are defueling around 2000rpms give or take and that will ABSOLUTLY shut your fuel down and take all your power away. does it sound great till 2k? and then sound like crap from then on? or does it sound like crap throughout the rpm range?

Last edited by turbo2332; 06-02-2012 at 09:17 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-02-2012, 03:09 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine spits and sputters when coldd. But once it sputters once and throws all its grey smoke outta the way, its fine. I have yet to look at my OFV though, I really need to..

Old 06-02-2012, 04:38 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

I pretty sure by saying he didnt see smoke and he had a rough free rev he was just implying that there might be a fuel issue. Shouldnt jump to conclusions and start preaching about smoke then run people off the sight. Like turbo said could be OFV or if you are getting into the 2k+ range you might just be the governor. Hook up a fuel pressure gauge for safe measure though and see where your at. Then you can start weeding out possibilities. You should fill out your sig too

Old 06-03-2012, 09:28 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

It spits and putters before 2k. I have a different OFV in it now because my other one fell apart when i was driving it. The one a pit in was a used OEM one and they both do it.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Could the trimming be off and causing it to sputter on free revs? I haven't had the timing checked since I put the motor together.

Last edited by smedley; 06-03-2012 at 09:28 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-04-2012, 02:53 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

First thing I would do is change the fuel filter and see if it helps. There is also a fuel heater on the side of the block with a metal screen in it that could be clogged up. I would also check your fuel pressure https://www.dieselbombers.com/12-val...-pressure.html

Also, diesels take time to warm up and fully seat the rings so free reving a cold engine really isn't a good idea.

Old 06-04-2012, 09:56 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

it has a new fuel filter, screen is clean and heater removed. i did the ofv mod tonight but i haven't checked if that helped with the reving issue. i did it when the truck was warmed up. my truck only gets up to 170deg. i will check the fuel peressure. i slide the stock fuel plate and afc all the way forward and that seemed to help a little.