12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

Sticking throttle! Not good!

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 09:13 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sticking throttle! Not good!

For the past couple days my truck will get in a mood when it wants the throttle to stick. What happens is when i shift gears it willstick in the idle position or sometimes youl only be able to go to about 1/2 throttle. Idk what it is or why its doing it. When it gets stuck in the idle position, its like pushing the throttle when the engines not running, you know how it has that resistance togo down when the trucks off? I just want to fix it before i get off in traffic somewhere. If yall could help me thatd be awesome thanks.

Old 04-29-2012, 09:26 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There was a recall regarding throttle cable sticking. Mine did the same thing, pain in the but.

Old 04-29-2012, 10:27 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They suck to replace. My advice is start shopping now, because what's happening to you now is just a pre-cursor to your throttle cable breaking. And trust me, you don't want it to break when your not at home.

Old 04-29-2012, 10:27 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Check and see if the fuel shut off solenoid is getting pulled all the way up. Turn the key forward and go out and feel if the lever is all the way up ut should kinda "lock in".

Old 04-29-2012, 10:41 AM
Diesel Fan

Thanks. Theres 2 cables attached to the throttle mechanism one goes to the pedal and the other runs to something thats mounted up under the drivers side battery. I have no idea what it is but that cable is really frayed up. Its got a new shutoff solenoid. What would i be replacing in this thing to make it not stick?

Old 04-29-2012, 06:47 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 434 Likes on 356 Posts

That would be your cruise control under the battery tray

Old 04-30-2012, 02:06 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You would be replacing the one that connect the the throttle linkage via a ball and socket joint. That cable runs from the side if your pump on your throttle linkage, straight through the firewall to your pedal. Mine frayed and jammed on the inside of the plastic where you couldnt see it, just after it left the pedal. Lay in you floorboard on you back, look at your acc. pedal, take the cable off. Pull it through the firewall into the engine bay, undo it from the linkage, buy a new one and install in reverse order

The following users liked this post:
12VALVECOUNTRYBOY (04-30-2012)
Old 04-30-2012, 07:58 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Before going to crazy check the springs on the throttle linkage at the back underside of the pump. Pain to see and get too. I had that problem with mine about a month and half ago, and 1 of the springs was broken. Temp fix was a spring from a lawn chair. Had about the same resistance. That fixed my throttle from sticking. Lubed the cables while I was there.

Look at the springs. Might be the issues there.

Good luck

Corbin

Old 04-30-2012, 08:15 AM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 367 Likes on 251 Posts

Go to dodge and make sure the recalls are done first. If the are order a b15 recall kit ($6.00) and a throttle spring.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Old 04-30-2012, 08:36 AM
Diesel Fan

I got to looking and the throttle cable itself looks newer than what was on my other cummins. So maybe its a new one? I replaced that spring yesterday and seems to be fine. The truck has been throwing a check engine light since it started acting up the other day. I have to find someone with an OBD 1 scanner. I was working on it yesterday and when i would cut the engine off i could hear air blowing somewhere. So i cranked the truck and then cut it off and ran under the hood to see if i could find its source, there was two bolts missing from the long plate thats on the intake of the engine thats under the intake manifold. Well i found two bolts to plug those holes up and it didnt didnt seem to affect anything but some boost pressure.

The latest update on whats been happening to the engine throttle situation is when u rev it up and let off the throttle (truck idles at about 1000) it will go down to about 800 and then comes back up, and sometimes even down to 500 or 600 rpms. So that tells me the engine it being starved or air or fuel for that split second. Anybody got any ideas?

Quick Reply: Sticking throttle! Not good!