12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

death wobble and repairs

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 10:05 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default death wobble and repairs

Alright, so, 1995 dodge ram 2500 4x4 (234k miles) with severe death wobble. I have thus far replaced shocks, pads, rotors, calipers, ball joints, wheel bearings, wheels and tires. (I know some of these are not applicable to the death wobble)
As I have been reading all the forums about replacement parts I still have questions. It seems that the first culprit at this point is the track bar, I can feel it clunking at my feet.
which one is most advised by those with experience?

-MOOG track bar
-Thuren Fabrication
-Kore track bar
-DT profab track bar

additionally, what are thoughts on doing a conversion to the HD steering or the Thuren Fabrication extreme duty steering? Any other recommended modifications?

and here is the truck:
Name:  photobucket-29219-1334718291868.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  67.0 KB

Old 04-18-2012, 01:32 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by hard_hat
Alright, so, 1995 dodge ram 2500 4x4 (234k miles) with severe death wobble. I have thus far replaced shocks, pads, rotors, calipers, ball joints, wheel bearings, wheels and tires. (I know some of these are not applicable to the death wobble)
As I have been reading all the forums about replacement parts I still have questions. It seems that the first culprit at this point is the track bar, I can feel it clunking at my feet.
which one is most advised by those with experience?

-MOOG track bar
-Thuren Fabrication
-Kore track bar
-DT profab track bar

additionally, what are thoughts on doing a conversion to the HD steering or the Thuren Fabrication extreme duty steering? Any other recommended modifications?

and here is the truck:
From what I have heard, Do not go with MOOG, yes they may have a lifetime warranty, but you will be replacing it a lot. If you have the time, and basic skill of a little fabrication, I went with the Thuren Track Bar for the 4th Generation Dodge Ram. It has a heim joint on the axle and a bushing at the frame. A LOT better design, But you have to bore out the bolt hole on the axle to a 5/8 hole, and remove the factory ball joint bracket at the frame and weld on a new one, I got mine from Ruff Stuff, 3/8 think steel. Completely happy with going that route, and only cost me $360 to do get it installed and driving.

Old 04-18-2012, 02:08 AM
Diesel Fan

thank you for the input, especially about the moog parts needing to be replaced frequently. I have the funds to set this up properly and would like to do so such that I will not have to worry about it for a long time (if ever).

just for clarification you got the thuren track bar for the 4th gen (not 3rd) and the frame inside bracket from ruffstuff. The one thing I do not have is welding skills... is there another bracket that would work with this that is a bolt on like the 3rd gen track bar conversions use or is the 4th gen that much beefier at the end?

Old 04-18-2012, 02:16 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

thank you for the input, especially about the moog parts needing to be replaced frequently. I have the funds to set this up properly and would like to do so such that I will not have to worry about it for a long time (if ever).

just for clarification you got the thuren track bar for the 4th gen (not 3rd) and the frame inside bracket from ruffstuff. The one thing I do not have is welding skills... is there another bracket that would work with this that is a bolt on like the 3rd gen track bar conversions use or is the 4th gen that much beefier at the end?
The only difference between the 3rd and 4th Gen Track Bars are the bolt sizes. The 4th Gen uses bigger bolts, so why not. As for the bracket, I have heard from many, that the bolt on brackets are not very strong, and can come loose in some instances. Solid Steel Industries is the only company I know of that has a bolt on bracket for no lift, or leveling kit Dodge Rams, There are many others out there, but they only work on lifted trucks..

The benefits I saw going with the Ruff Stuff Bracket, was it only cost me $20, and it was a permanent fix I know will not loosen up.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Old 04-18-2012, 02:43 AM
Diesel Fan

great information! the solid steel bolt on bracket looks easy, but not nearly as solid as a 1/4" plate steel bracket welded to the frame.

as it stands right now, here is my game plan:
-thuren fabrication 4th gen track bar (07.5-11), powdercoated.
-ruff stuff frame inside mounting bracket
-98-99 HD steering conversion, parts sourced from autozone
-2.5" leveling kit from hell bent steel including the sway bar drop brackets, greasable sway bar bushings, and heavy duty end links.
-steering box stabilizer from hell bent steel
-new steering damper, bracket will be lost with the HD steering conversion. input on this?

I think when it is all said and done, it'll be mighty fine... all the parts will have been replaced.

Old 04-18-2012, 03:14 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

great information! the solid steel bolt on bracket looks easy, but not nearly as solid as a 1/4" plate steel bracket welded to the frame.

as it stands right now, here is my game plan:
-thuren fabrication 4th gen track bar (07.5-11), powdercoated.
-ruff stuff frame inside mounting bracket
-98-99 HD steering conversion, parts sourced from autozone
-2.5" leveling kit from hell bent steel including the sway bar drop brackets, greasable sway bar bushings, and heavy duty end links.
-steering box stabilizer from hell bent steel
-new steering damper, bracket will be lost with the HD steering conversion. input on this?

I think when it is all said and done, it'll be mighty fine... all the parts will have been replaced.
-thuren fabrication 4th gen track bar (07.5-11), powdercoated. Good

-ruff stuff frame inside mounting bracket Edit, because of the cross member under the engine, the inside mounting bracket will not work, Tried that. Luckily I live down the street from Ruff Stuff so I was able to make a few trips and the owner Dan gave me a handful of parts and just had to bring back what didn't work for me. I went with the outside frame bracket, and change the angles on it.

-98-99 HD steering conversion, parts sourced from autozone Explain further?

-2.5" leveling kit from hell bent steel including the sway bar drop brackets, greasable sway bar bushings, and heavy duty end links. Good

-steering box stabilizer from hell bent steel Good, Also try PSC Motorsports, they have a great price!

-new steering damper, bracket will be lost with the HD steering conversion. input on this? This can be solved many ways. Easiest would be to just get an adapter mount to clamp the end of the dampener to the Drag link. But there are many ways of adding a dampener to your steering set up.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:42 AM
Site Sponsor - 1aauto
Received 68 Likes on 66 Posts

I personally like the DT profab trac bar... Any upgraded one will help a TON tho

Old 04-18-2012, 11:05 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 103 Likes on 99 Posts

dt profab was what i recomended from using on my dodge

Old 04-18-2012, 02:16 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dt profab also

Old 04-19-2012, 09:12 PM
Diesel Fan

I just spent 45 minutes on the phone with the owner of dt profab and I have to say, that was the most useful time I've had on the phone is quite some time. I've decided to order the drivability kit which is the steering box stabilizer, track bar, and +1/2" FORWARD LINK ARM KIT. I am not getting the shocks with it because I just replaced mine ~3000 miles ago.
As for the steering linkage upgrade, this pretty much sums it up:

Heavy Duty Steering Upgrade

I found another source for the part numbers from autozone, and per their website it adds up to $356.94.

then also the HBS 2.5" leveling spacers with completer kit will be installed at the same time.

anything else to replace or upgrade?