12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

ac compressor questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 06:40 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
Default ac compressor questions

Ok, so here's what I got.

The AC on the 96 hasn't worked since I got it, primarily since the wiring was all jacked up. I went ahead and hotwired the compressor straight off the battery.

I ran a relay off the battery to the compressor, and ran a toggle to the relay, off of a fused power source, so if for some reason I forgot to shut the switch off it would at least shut off with the truck.

Now, here's where I have a problem. When I tested it, I applied power to the wires, and I heard it click, so I immediately shut power off. But, when I turn the truck on, and then turn the switch to the compressor on, I hear it click, but it's not kicking on. No noticeable drop in RPM, and no cold air. would the high and low pressure sensors have anything to do with this? I figured straight hotwired, would work. What else should I look at? Wiring it in properly is not really possible, due to the cab swap, and dash swap, since the dash has the hvac controls off a newer truck, and it took some ghetto rigging already just to make the temperature adjustment work.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:04 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 434 Likes on 356 Posts

Low pressure switch is keepin it from coming on. look for a switch with 2 wires on one of the lines, if I remember right it's near the dryer. If you jump across the 2 wires it should kick on. The switch just keeps it from coming on if the freon pressure is low sp it dosnt ruin the compressor. So if it works jumping the ps wires you need freon.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:37 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

I know I'm good on freon, because a month ago, my buddy ran the vacuum pump, held vacuum for a good 30 minutes, and then recharged using freon and the gauge block (ie, the professional way). It's just that the wiring in this truck is a nightmare, and I can't figure out the ac. the low pressure switch was swapped out because the wiring wouldn't match up...the accumulator is off of a 2000, while the wiring was off of a 96, so I had to swap the low pressure switch out with the corresponding one, to get the wires to hook up correctly. Could that be screwing things up?