12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

first diesel and I need some widsom......

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 11:42 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Get better head studs. I blew a head gasket from the turbo when it was pushing 28

Old 01-12-2012, 09:05 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They are in the mix as well as some other things. I still havn't quite got the truck to run like I want her too. That dang starwheel is tricky to get just right for someone whos doing it for their first time. My plans are to keep it clean and simple with more then enough umph. I will be getting my exhaust, research for a larger turbo, head studs, clutch, small set of injectors and may down grade on the plate....but thats just a basic.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:10 PM

Hey I'm new as well I'm really needing help with my 97 auto.... I keep reading about egr and also about tuning the injection pump afc mods too I want more power without damaging the motor. Ofcourse I want it to smoke but the main goal is to get it moving instead of the Dushamaxes or power jokes leaving my baby. My truck with 150000 miles is pretty much stock I cut of the huge *** muffler put a cold air and turned the star wheel maybe six turns towards the front and the turbo wg blocked.. I want to mod the plate / afc but I need to know by just doing that will I hurt my truck

Old 02-28-2012, 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by Kendale
Hey I'm new as well I'm really needing help with my 97 auto.... I keep reading about egr and also about tuning the injection pump afc mods too I want more power without damaging the motor. Ofcourse I want it to smoke but the main goal is to get it moving instead of the Dushamaxes or power jokes leaving my baby. My truck with 150000 miles is pretty much stock I cut of the huge *** muffler put a cold air and turned the star wheel maybe six turns towards the front and the turbo wg blocked.. I want to mod the plate / afc but I need to know by just doing that will I hurt my truck
I had my untouched 95 Cummins for a whole 15 minutes before I pulled the fuel plate and cut it to a #0 and slid it all the way forward and slid the housing all the way forward too, then 3 clicks on the governor springs and cranked the star wheel. Also did a big K&N filter and the truck had a 4" turbo back already installed. Completely different truck and it didn't cost me anything.

So far the truck runs awesome, but I only drove it for about 5 miles. I have to get the EGT gauge installed this weekend, it should be here tomorrow

Now I have to order a 4k gsk, 60# valve springs, and a boost elbow or plug the wastegate. And a better clutch

Old 02-28-2012, 05:53 AM
Default Hey bud

Thanks buddy I'm gonna do the same I have like two more questions, governor springs how do I adjust them or how do I replace them and the auto trans what's your suggestion I eventually am goin to go get a mega can and then the 97 dula is gonna be the toy I want eventually to have 1200 ft lbs and I can't afford the tranny yet but what do you suggest for now with the mods that we talked abOut?

Old 03-26-2012, 09:43 PM
Diesel Fan

Be easy on the skinny pedel. A few good runs on a stock clutch with my #0 plate and boost elbow and starwheel cranked put me on the back of a flat bed with a nice tow bill attatched due to a scattered clutch. Also for all you 5-speeders, I ordered me a valair 600hp/1100 ft. lbs. clutch kit to be installed. Any of you running this clutch?

Old 03-26-2012, 09:57 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Mine came in Friday so Im going to throw it in this coming weekend. Valair 600/1100 single disc 13" upgrade? I will let you know how she feels if I beat you to the install. Mine slips bad in 3rd and 4th at about 30psi boost. I have my set of sticks waiting to go in but decided I should wait until the clutch is in to do them.

Old 03-28-2012, 02:03 PM
Diesel Fan

Yep same clutch as I ordered yesterday.
Thats exactally what mine was doing. It would hold 1st through 3rd but anything more then half throttle in 4th or 5th and it would slip really bad...and then it just gernaded while I was cruising down the road at 35 mph. Let me know what you think of it. Thanks.

Old 03-28-2012, 03:01 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 107 Likes on 100 Posts

Did you get your AFC tuned where you want it? I've found a couple of ways to have it to where its tuned clean, but at the same time isn't laggy. When I was running no plate and my #100, I had the AFC housing pulled all the way back. Now in this setup, if you have the starwheel really tight, the truck will be extremely laggy. The trick is to gradually loosen the starwheel until you find a nice balance between responsiveness and excess fuel. When I had mine just right, my truck was very responsive and had all the power I could ask for, but I could go WOT at any RPM in any gear and all I would get is barely a haze of smoke. And if you get to craving smoke or want your truck to be really responsive again to play around with, you just have to loosen the screws on the AFC housing and slide the housing all the way forward, and never have to mess with the starwheel. The to go clean again, vice versa.

And Flopro makes 4" and 5" exhaust systems for the 2nd gen 12 valves. I think the 4" is about $270 and the 5" about $330, but I would have to double check.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:07 PM
Diesel Fan

yes I finally got her where I want. Too tight would make it very laggy like you said, and then all of a sudden you get full power for a second then nothing because of the govenor. Too loose and it would dump black smoke like the dickens. How I have it set now, is where I feel almost no difference in power (when the starwheel was cranked) but the smoke is almost non existant. being a stick, i can lug any gear, ride the brakes a bit and black out a street but just driving normally and even getting on it purdy hard will only produce a minimal amount of smoke. Even with starwheel cranked, my boost is set to where once I hit about 30-32 lbs, the smoke turns to a light haze.
and yes, I figure why not spend the extra couple bucks for the 5"

Quick Reply: first diesel and I need some widsom......