12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

Torque converter lock up switch and "CHECK ENGINE"

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 04:32 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Torque converter lock up switch and "CHECK ENGINE"

Wired up a torque converter lock switch with the standard "TST" instructions, pin 11 off the computer to a toggle switch and jumper out the transmission relay.

I flip the switch and I get nothing but a "CHECK ENGINE" light. Re-installed the relay, pulled the battery cables and it clears.

I have read that you must install a 33ohm resistor on the ground leg for California 47RE and the Gen 3 trucks and keep the relay in-place to avoid a check engine light. Can anyone confirm this?
I need to be able to hold in 2nd and 3rd and lock it up for some of the mountain driving with my trailer.

Old 12-10-2011, 06:26 PM
FormerVendor
Received 107 Likes on 99 Posts

not sure there, i used their instructions on my 01 and it works fine was the wire you tapped orange with a black tracer?

Old 12-11-2011, 12:23 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

Went down to Radio Shack and got a 5 pack of 33ohm resistors and a couple of LEDs. Broke the bank for $6.00. Put the resistor inline where I spliced into the Orange with Black tracer wire. Put the trans relay back in, wired up the green LED using power from the "power port" in the dash and the other two poles on the Milspec switch.

The "CHECK ENGINE" light cleared while I was doing the wiring with the batteries unhooked.

Took it for a run and now it works. Looks like the 1997 47RE from California has the same wiring as the Gen 3 transmission and requires the resistor be installed and the relay to remain in place.

I still can't get it to lock up in 2nd, or I can't tell if it is or not. I think this may be a factor of the TransGo shift kit. Won't know for sure until I pull the 5th wheel again.

Old 12-11-2011, 03:38 PM
FormerVendor

i had a valvebody done by a trans shop and they used parts from some other shift kit and after that i lost 2nd gear lockup, valvebody has since been removed and reworked

Old 12-11-2011, 05:32 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

I'm still on the fence about the 2nd gear locking up. I pulled the hill up to my street in 2nd and hit the switch......normally my trans temp would climb to about 180* on this stretch, but with the lock up switch on, it stayed at 150*, dam hard to tell what is going on when the truck is empty and not towing anything.

I moved the plate back a little and cranked the star wheel out a bit and she has the low end snap back. I can roll on hard throttle and it takes longer to hit 1200* EGT but still must keep one eye on the gauge with anything past 3/4 throttle. I think this is where I'm going to keep it for the next trip with the trailer.

Maybe Santa will bring me a Fat Shaft D-Tech 62/12cm/65

Old 12-16-2011, 08:29 PM
FormerVendor

what about going to a hybrid 35/40?

Old 12-17-2011, 12:02 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cummin_un_glued
what about going to a hybrid 35/40?
I just like the "fat shaft" don't want to spend the coin for a Turbonetics, the Super B has some bad reviews and the Super B special is too much for a tow rig. Don't get me started on that over priced purple stuff from ATS.
My little HX 35 is in good shape so making it a hybrid may not be a bad idea.

Hell I don't know just been looking around a bit.