12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

4x4 light always on..and front driveshaft always locked in

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 10:00 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 4x4 light always on..and front driveshaft always locked in

Any ideas or Input?!?! I've looked into how the CAD works in my 94 dodge and still wondering, is it always supposed to be locked in even when its in 2wd? Or should I be able to freely spin it?? I feel like this is hurting my MPGs!
Thanks for the help guys! Hope to figure this out asap

Old 11-28-2011, 12:10 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 12vCummins94
Any ideas or Input?!?! I've looked into how the CAD works in my 94 dodge and still wondering, is it always supposed to be locked in even when its in 2wd? Or should I be able to freely spin it?? I feel like this is hurting my MPGs!
Thanks for the help guys! Hope to figure this out asap
No, the front axle should not be locked even when in 2wd. How do you know the front axle is locked in 2wd? did you check it, or maybe the switch has seized pressed in? Does is stay locked if shifted into 4wd? if it unlocks in 4wd the vacuum hoses could be switch around. or the CAD unit could have seized in itself.

Old 11-28-2011, 10:46 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

more than likely your vacuum actuator is shot that controls the shift fork on the axle. Mine was shot for a couple years, the vacuum actuator was siezed in 4wd, instead of replacing the actuator I installed a 4x4 Posi-Lok to eliminate the vacuum system and now its a manual locking system. Easy to install and no more worries about future vacuum problems.

The following users liked this post:
12vCummins94 (12-07-2011)
Old 11-28-2011, 02:04 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Jerroh
more than likely your vacuum actuator is shot that controls the shift fork on the axle. Mine was shot for a couple years, the vacuum actuator was siezed in 4wd, instead of replacing the actuator I installed a 4x4 Posi-Lok to eliminate the vacuum system and now its a manual locking system. Easy to install and no more worries about future vacuum problems.
Ditto the above, and just remember to cap off the vacuum lines, as they'll play havoc with your A/C doors.

Old 11-29-2011, 02:48 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a friend check it out in 2wd and its always spinning, like locked in, and then when its parked i can turn it a little, but not freely spin it (locked).... ive seen the posi-lok and was thinking about going that route if i couldnt just simply fix the issue myself (maybe its the actuator?)

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Oh and when i put it in 4wd, you can feel the difference, as in if i get stuck ill throw it in 4hi and be able to gain more traction, so im thinking that one side might be locked in, because the actuator went out maybe..hoping to figure it out

Last edited by 12vCummins94; 11-29-2011 at 02:49 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-29-2011, 11:01 AM
Site Sponsor - 1aauto
Received 68 Likes on 66 Posts

Posi lock kits are a great upgrade from the vacuum actuator!!

Old 11-29-2011, 01:12 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the actuator is easy to replace, to double check the line read this article
Central Axle Disconnect (CAD) System Troubleshooting

with the axle locked it just means u are in 2wd with the front axles spinning locked together by a donut looking sleeve that moves back and forth. and the front axle dont pull until u put the truck in 4wd hence the reason u feel more traction when u put it in 4hi.

Old 12-03-2011, 12:06 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts

I think the fact that the axle shafts are constantly driven by the hubs should be pointed out and the front end is designed to constantly spin in 2wd or 4wd, the actuator ties the two wheels together allowing power to be balanced between the two of them. It doesn't actually disengage the front end completely. They do however sell free spinning kits so you can lock and unlock your hubs, doing so releases the front end components and gets rid of a tremendous parasitic draw resulting in increased fuel economy. Kits are pricey but I've heard they pay for themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 12-03-2011, 09:39 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My vacuum stopped working so I installed a manual pull style actuator but it didn't have enough pull room to get the collar all the way onto the splines. So it's now welded and permanently moving the front end. Only the transfer case is between me and 4x4. less things to break later.

Old 12-06-2011, 01:00 PM
Site Sponsor - 1aauto
Received 68 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Dieselfunohio
My vacuum stopped working so I installed a manual pull style actuator but it didn't have enough pull room to get the collar all the way onto the splines. So it's now welded and permanently moving the front end. Only the transfer case is between me and 4x4. less things to break later.
Well the front axle will definitely never not lock on you again!