12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

Help me please

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 02:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me please

Hi guys i have been visiting this sight for years and have finaly decided to join! I hope thatone of u gurus can help me with my trans issus in my 97? I overheatedand burned up my trans i beleve because the tv cable poped off the linkage while towing and with nowear to pull over i pushed it on up the hill. (yes i know stupid) so i pulled it out and had it gone through after reinstaling it i have new problems. As soon as u start it the trans temp light is on and so is the od light. i know the od light is on because of the temp tight. I hooked up my modis and the trans temp showes 303, this is right off the bat my guage hasent even started to move yet. I replaced the temp sensor/governer press sensor with a new one from the dealer, same thing. had it towed to the trany shop that built it,builder called me that day and said he drove it about 2 miles and both lights went off and it went into od, however after stoping and cycling the key it did the same thing over again! He is saying that it must me computer or wiring and that it is not inside the trans (ie not his problem) whch i agree with but i am baffeld that the lights go out and it gets over drive after driving a few miles? any help would be much appricated thanks!

Old 09-25-2011, 02:40 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this was the problem to one guy who had the same problem as you. maybe when they rebuilt it they did the same thing. "well we got it fixed yesterday (thanks to Chad with upstate diesel) the guy that build the transmission put a temp senser in that was out of a new truck so it was way diff then the one that should be in it. changed that out and BAM she runs great!" might have found better info that could be it.

"in the valve body there is a sensor (governor pressure transducer) it measures tranny temp, if it fails it puts the tranny in limp mode, not sure if a broken wire will result in the same results, likely best to drop the pan to change fluid and filter anyway, at that time you can inspect the harness and swap out a sensor.
the sensor you want to change is the "black" one hidden behind the screwdriver, there are two different types and the plug in connector is different

you have to remove the governor pressure sensor plate(as in picture) and remove a clip from the under side to get the sensor out. you dont need to drop the VB to do this"

"I would replace the governor pressure solenoid and the governor pressure sensor/transducer as stated above. You will need an inch/pound torque wrench and torx sockets.
-remove trans pan
-remove trans filter
-remove retaining plate
-sensor and solenoid can be pulled out of the valvebody and unplugged from the harness
-install new sensor and solenoid
-retaining plate bolts are 35 inch/pounds
-install new filter- 35 inch/pounds
- wipe out trans pan, clean magnet, install trans pan- 125 inch/pounds
-refill trans

It is a messy job with the stock trans pan. I paid $200 for both parts at the dealer parts counter"

Last edited by alexbland; 09-25-2011 at 02:48 PM.
Old 09-25-2011, 02:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks! i did replace the sensor with a dealer one but not the solonoid and the harness looked fine