12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

No 1st or 2nd gear in 47re when hot??

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 10:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No 1st or 2nd gear in 47re when hot??

Hello guys and girls,

I've been a "watcher" of this forum since I bought my truck a year ago and have learned a lot. Unfortunately I am having a transmission problem as I was wondering if anyone here had any insight. I couldn't find a similar problem using the search feature.

I have a early 1998 Dodge Ram 2500 Club Cab 12V Diesel with the 47RE. My transmission is acting up when it warms up. When cold, it seems to act fine. Once it is warmed up, the problem begins to arise and it gets worse until it gets up to temperature where the problem is severe. The transmission will not go into first gear when at operating temperature when coning to a complete stop. The engine will rev like it is in neutral. When the issue begins, there seems to be problems with 1st and 2nd gear as it does a little searching. One it gets into 3rd, it is fine and locks up in 3rd (with O/D off) and shifts into 4th and locks (with O/D on). Even when the tranny is at operating temperature, if I can get the truck moving and finally get it into 3rd, it acts flawlessly.

The truck has 211,000 miles on it and I picked it up used at 201,000 miles. I have changed the fluid twice now. Once when I got it and again today (very little metal in fluid). I have adjusted the rear band as well as changed the governor solenoid and sensor. I haven't adjusted the front band as I ran out of daylight today, but I doubt that will help. I don't drive the truck everyday and I first noticed the issue last week. It seems to have gotten worse, as if I have to stop the truck when the tranny is at full operating temperature, there is a high probability I will not be able to get moving again. Again, if it does start to move, 3rd gear and on is perfect.

There is also no apparent "clunk" when shifting into drive from park or neutral. Reverse is acting fine and I get the nice "clunk" going into it from park or neutral. I get a very mild "clunk" into gear when the tranny is cold. Manually shifting into first does not seem to have any effect at all. I can manually shift through the gears when it is cold, but it will not go into first or second from a stop when it is up to temperature. No check engine light is on and the transmission fuse and relay are good. The cables appear to be adjusted properly as there is no slack.

Any ideas?

Eric

Old 05-16-2011, 08:20 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

idk i'e got on for sale . it's a 4x4?

Old 05-16-2011, 10:37 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

sounds like a pressure issue to me. i would find out what the line pressure is first and try to adjust it. there are two adjustments on the v/b one for shift points the other to increase pressure. not a tranny pro at all but that is my 2 cents

Old 05-17-2011, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by zach_west
idk i'e got on for sale . it's a 4x4?
Somewhat interested

What are the details?

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Originally Posted by lodal cummins
sounds like a pressure issue to me. i would find out what the line pressure is first and try to adjust it. there are two adjustments on the v/b one for shift points the other to increase pressure. not a tranny pro at all but that is my 2 cents
Since I don't have access to a 300psi hydraulic gauge, I threw in the towel and sent it to the shop. Curious to see what they discover.

BTW...Do you know where the adjustment is for shift points? I only saw the line pressure adjustment screw while I was in there.

Last edited by JabaThaHut; 05-17-2011 at 12:36 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-19-2011, 06:30 PM

Hey Zach,

I got your PM but am unable to reply since I'm a newbie here and have fewer than 10 posts so far.

To answer your PM here:

Doh...I actually made a deal with someone on a 47re yesterday morning.

Thanks for the message and the offer though!

Eric

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

FYI...

The shop told me they were seeing low pressure readings when they checked out my 47re and determined there is most likely internal leakage and it is not holding enough pressure when the fluid gets hot and thins out. It seems like it's getting progressively worse in a short time. They obviously wanted to tear it apart and at that point, a complete rebuild would be necessary taking into account the mileage (211,000) and the slipping that is occurring with it now (although I didn't see much metal in the fluid).

I located a freshly rebuilt unit (8,000 miles old) set up for slightly more power and with a TCI torque converter for towing for about half the price the shop wanted for the rebuild. I would have loved to go with a Goerend, but money is tight these days.

Know anyone needing a good core?

Last edited by JabaThaHut; 05-19-2011 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost