12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 03:16 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Transmission

Well some of you know that the other day I thought I was in for a not so great thing that I just couldnt afford. Yes, I thought I had killed my transmission.

Story in easy mode is I had a leak, and I was keeping it topped off. Well my dumb butt decides I want to go shooting with my friend, and he had not rode in my truck for about 7 months. So I decided I would drive. We get out there, no signs of any problems, park, and shoot for a hour or two. Its getting dark so we head back to the main road from the remote location we were shooting. Drive onto the pavement, and truck felt like it was shifting weird. Was thinking it was a minor issue, and I drove on. Bout 2 miles down the road, the truck felt like it had lost all transfer of power to the ground so I coasted to the side of the road and shut her off, and cursed up a storm.

Long story short, me and my buddy made through a series of starting, driving 1000 feet, stopping, shutting her off, and repeating, until we made it to his house. I phoned a fellow CTD buddy on the issue, and he could not help me until saturday (this all happened thursday). So I killed friday sitting around at my friends house (neither of us had a truck, as his was at my house 35 miles away, over a group of large hills). Saturday came and my CTD buddy showed up and we got my truck towed back to my house. Yesterday was a real no go as I drank a weeks worth of beer on Saturday night because I thought I had killed my tranny. Woke up this AM, and dropped the pan, drained the fluid, replaced the filter, and refilled her with fresh fluid.

Started her up, drove around, checked fluid levels every mile for a 5 mile trip around my area, topped off when needed. Truck drives OK now though will not be seeing any sort of wheelin or hard drivin until I have the finances to buy a HD rebuild kit and a new TC & VB.

All in all I learned my lesson, and tomorrow is looking like I get to look for that leak day. Attached is a picture of the new and old filters.

Attached Thumbnails Transmission-1203071126.jpg  
Old 12-03-2007, 04:20 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 371 Likes on 264 Posts

i think someone owes somebody a thank you.................

Old 12-03-2007, 04:27 PM
Site Mascot
Received 940 Likes on 701 Posts

Well dang Jeremy

good to hear ya got er going again

you told me this stuff earlier when ya was passin thru Wyo and I shoulda asked ifin ya did the filter and fluids but I figgered ya had done that already

sometimes the simplist things trip us up huh

Old 12-03-2007, 04:31 PM
Diesel Wrench

Logan- Thanks for the advice on changing the filter and fluids. Can only hope this bandage holds until I can afford a rebuild kit and whatnot.

Kevin- Yeah, the leak was very slight then, I am glad I made it back home before any breakdown happened, and thing that sucked was it broke 30 or so miles out as I said, which is better than 500.

Thing bout the filter and fluids was I DID change them before I left to go to Idaho back in May, and the whole time there and then in Iowa, I never really noticed any leak, thanks to not having pavement to park on. On thursday when it ran low and died on me, I was playin out in the dirt, thus likely why I didnt see that it had leaked so bad, though I should have checked the fluid level. D'OH!

Old 12-03-2007, 04:33 PM
Diesel Bomber

i told him in chat a few nights ago but nooooo, he said there was no way that would work and it was gonna be a waste of time and money........see man, i told ya.....

i am glad you got the truck back on the road though...

The following users liked this post:
NukleusX (12-03-2007)
Old 12-03-2007, 04:34 PM
Site Mascot
Received 940 Likes on 701 Posts

live and learn bro.....its all good

when ya get my age ya will have learnd a **** ton of stuff the hard way hehehehehehheeeee

Old 12-03-2007, 04:43 PM
Diesel Wrench

Originally Posted by LOGANSTANFORTH
i told him in chat a few nights ago but nooooo, he said there was no way that would work and it was gonna be a waste of time and money........see man, i told ya.....

Yeah the other night I was just down and out over it all, I mean just how the truck was driving when it was messed up made me feel like I had broke something physically as I ran it too long low on fluid. By no means does it feel like it is solved completely, and it looks like I am going to be saving for a rebuild ASAP.

Old 12-04-2007, 02:12 AM
Super Moderator
Received 764 Likes on 627 Posts

i was there with Logan helping him try to convince you also

Originally Posted by NukleusX
Yeah the other night I was just down and out over it all, I mean just how the truck was driving when it was messed up made me feel like I had broke something physically as I ran it too long low on fluid. By no means does it feel like it is solved completely, and it looks like I am going to be saving for a rebuild ASAP.
Glad to see that you got your truck up and running good. People often neglect their transmission maintenance i see it all the time. But you happened to learn about that the hard way but you can always laugh about later. like when my truck caught on fire and burned to a crisp Just hurry up and get that thing rebuilt

Old 12-04-2007, 05:06 AM
Diesel Bomber

Originally Posted by 2500HeavyDuty
People often neglect their transmission maintenance i see it all the time.

Just hurry up and get that thing rebuilt

your one to be talking "Mr. I limp my truck every time it hits 5th gear"

Old 12-04-2007, 05:16 AM
Super Moderator
Received 764 Likes on 627 Posts

your one to be talking "Mr. I limp my truck every time it hits 5th gear"
I only did that once...It just slips in 5th gear

Last edited by 2500HeavyDuty; 12-04-2007 at 05:17 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quick Reply: Transmission