12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

Battery Not Charging

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 11:28 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 102 Likes on 94 Posts

have you checked your ecu yet, the computer regulates the alternator voltage and sends it to the battery. its a very common problem for those to go out

Old 08-02-2010, 02:21 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The same thing happened to my truck and I ran all the same tests as you and all checked out good, I finally found out after testing thing after thing it was my voltage regulator in the ECU that went bad so check that and let me know if that fixes your problem or not

Old 08-03-2010, 04:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tltruckparts
have you checked your ecu yet, the computer regulates the alternator voltage and sends it to the battery. its a very common problem for those to go out
Their actually called a PCM on these trucks, i had to replace a little over a year ago for the above stated problem

Old 08-03-2010, 11:37 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 102 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by TwistedApache
Their actually called a PCM on these trucks, i had to replace a little over a year ago for the above stated problem
an ecu and a pcm are the same thing pretty much, very little difference between the ecu and a pcm, but an ecu is the more common term. doesnt really matter what its called im sure he understood what i meant

Old 08-03-2010, 11:45 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 79 Likes on 66 Posts

get the truck started and check voltage on the alternator. If its over 14 its charging, if its not, its a voltage regulator problem. As stated above, its controlled by the ECU. You could try wiggling connections etc, or put an external voltage regulator on it.

Old 08-04-2010, 04:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tltruckparts
an ecu and a pcm are the same thing pretty much, very little difference between the ecu and a pcm, but an ecu is the more common term. doesnt really matter what its called im sure he understood what i meant
i'm sure he did understand that, but they have 2 diff functions, the ecu stands for Engine Control, if you go to the dealer and ask for a ECU for these trucks they say their not available, the PCM stands for Powertrain Control Module, because its maintains/controls the accerssories it has nothing to do with the motor, thats the difference between the 2. Not trying to nitpick just making sure people know the correct terms for the parts they have

Old 08-05-2010, 02:55 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it is the voltage regulator (or the crank sensor, for that matter), you can bypass the Computer, you don't have to buy a new, high dollar, PCM to fix it. I don't know the details though. I just know that it can done.

You need to buy an old voltage regulator, from some Chrysler model made in the late 60's to early 90's. And wire it up (think it needs three wires, via two of it's prongs, and the voltage regulator, itself, is grounded to the car.). I know it's a fairly simple process, but my Dad did it and I wasn't present. So, I never really saw what he did. I've only replaced voltage regulators on my '74 Duster, about 5 times thus far. (owned that car for over 20 years, now.), but those were all just direct replacements. The voltage regulator he used, were the same type that my 74' Duster uses.... as well as his old '84 1/2ton 4x4, uses. (you'll have to find an old plug in from an old car, or find a way to make a female plug in.... to connect to the regulator... or maybe solder the wires on? My Dad likely had the female plug in from an older car. For all I know, you can buy the female connector at autozone... but I doubt it. Dodge Dealer may have it though....)

I just know he did that once to an 86 Daytona Z that my Mom used to own (it's voltage regulator went through the computer, too and it quit charging.) and more recently to his '96 Cummins. Lot cheaper than buying a new computer, anyway.

I'm sure someone here knows some detailed instructions.

Found this quickly online:
http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/f...n&onlynewfaq=1

...and that's what that voltage regulator looks like on my '74 Duster, as well....

Last edited by Threesixty; 08-05-2010 at 03:18 PM.