12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

Body or Engine swap?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 11:55 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by roddyhughes
do it! we did and when people see that little v6 sticker on the side and see it rollin coal!thats bad ***. i can give you all the tips you need. we built ours in a week on the dirt.
cool thanks. im really good at tqaking projects on way over my ability so why the heck not this. ok where do I start. I was thinking the bed and hood first need to go then bumpers nad fenders

Old 07-19-2010, 07:04 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

look buy a half ton with a blown engine for 600 bucks on craigslist. we did. take off the hood and remove the hood then engine, tranny, than all of the wiring. all. ac stuff and the pcm/ecm take out your dash. the whole thing and put the diesel dash in. it will bolt right up. everything will. except the drive shaft. you will have to get one custom made. then drop the engine in first by itself. the fire wall WILL get dented so tape some cardboard to it to protect it more. use only the halfton frame and body also rearend basically. use as much of the diesel stuff that you can.

Old 07-19-2010, 07:31 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by roddyhughes
look buy a half ton with a blown engine for 600 bucks on craigslist. we did. take off the hood and remove the hood then engine, tranny, than all of the wiring. all. ac stuff and the pcm/ecm take out your dash. the whole thing and put the diesel dash in. it will bolt right up. everything will. except the drive shaft. you will have to get one custom made. then drop the engine in first by itself. the fire wall WILL get dented so tape some cardboard to it to protect it more. use only the halfton frame and body also rearend basically. use as much of the diesel stuff that you can.
no offence, but that sounds like a terrible idea.

Old 07-19-2010, 08:24 PM
High Tech Redneck

Received 496 Likes on 397 Posts

As long as the cab supports are not rusted out, I'd fix it with new body panels from lmc truck. Get a free catalog from them and make a plan of attack.

Old 07-19-2010, 10:45 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 102 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by dan33klein
no offence, but that sounds like a terrible idea.
no kidding i agree totally.

1/2 ton frame and rear end with a cummins in it = worst idea ive ever heard

Old 07-20-2010, 01:44 AM
Diesel Wrench

yeha I want ot kep my 3/4 ton frame and one ton's heck i wnat a bigger rear end like a D-80 or maybe a 14bolt I dont know

Old 07-20-2010, 07:59 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

If you can find that clean 1/2 ton, swap the cab. Do the paperwork, make it legit. I'd do a cab swap any day over the entire drivetrain. I'm doing both at the same time on my Ranger truggy build, and the cab is the easier of the two, especially if moving between gas and diesel. You'd have to swap the fuel tank, lines, all the suspension, etc.

You might also want to take a page from the Trucks show on Spike TV. They dropped a nice Ford crew cab onto a Dodge frame.

Trucks! - Episodes | PowerblockTV

The sky is the limit if you are willing to make a few cab mounts.

Old 07-20-2010, 11:53 AM
Diesel Wrench

naw if i do a cab only swap it will stay dodge

Old 07-20-2010, 04:49 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i will try and post our truck. it IS NOT a bad idea. its simple and easy. im 17 and basically did it myself. its stock and this truck runs 14.92@99 in the 1/4 mile and spins the tires into every gear down the track. we havent beefed up any thin or done anythin to help it hold up. we pull a 1 ton with a skirted flatbed every weekend to the midnight drags drags in tulsa ok. then race the halfton.

Old 07-20-2010, 04:57 PM
Diesel Wrench

i dont really care if it would work Im not interested in droping the GVRW to 1/2 ton status. now i still what to see your truck cause it sounds cool jsut not what Im lookingto do

Quick Reply: Body or Engine swap?