12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

shift points

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 09:21 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Default shift points

so i'm going to adjust my shift points. tps controls o/d. any way to get around that. i think 48 to 50 is way to low for o/d to my liking. plus i was going to increase line pressure by 3 psi. tranny has 26,ooo on it with shift kit. good idea or bad? do not want to blow any seals

Old 06-28-2010, 09:26 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

why do you wanna increase line pressure if it already had a shift kit?

Old 06-28-2010, 09:41 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Old 06-28-2010, 11:58 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

that is why i was asking as not sure how much pressure with the shift kit. just thought of bumping it a little more while in there.

Old 06-29-2010, 12:02 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

ok im not perfectly understanding you but IMO if you alrady have a shift kit then do not increase pressure any more.

Old 06-29-2010, 12:06 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

ok thanks that is what i needed to hear. do not know a whole lot about auto's.

Old 06-29-2010, 12:51 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

i am good freinds with and auto trans guru and he tells me all about these things. and it still confuses me sometimes.

Old 06-29-2010, 10:56 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Increasing your system pressure won't necessarily effect your shift points. That is more determined by rpm than by pressure. FWIW, there is more than one pressure setting and reading in the transmission. Depending on which port you test, there are various recommended pressures. You'll need a good pressure gauge and an ATSG manual to know what you are doing. Pressures in that manual are:

Rear servo: Min. 145-175 -- Max. 230-280
Accumulator: Min. 54-60 -- Max. 90-96
Governor: Min. 0 (@ idle) -- Max. 1 PSI per 1 mph
Overdrive: Min. 68-72 -- Max. 90-120

Each of these has its own test port on the transmission and needs to be tested at a particular RPM range and shift point.

The TPS can adjust the point where torque converter lock-up and OD hit -- most guys would benefit from maxing out the voltage of the TPS. Check voltage across the center pin to the TPS (use a volt meter, positive to the center wire, negative to a good ground, and a pin or paper clip pushed up into the center terminal as far as you can get it -- helps to pull the connector and shove the wire up where you can see what you are doing, then reinstall the connector). Voltage should be around 1.0-1.4 at idle, and ramp up a maximum of 4 volts at WOT.

Adjustment is made by loosening the two screws that hold the TPS to the bracket, then rotate the TPS unit on the screws (it only moves a small amount). As you rotate it, watch the Volt Meter and set it where you want it. If you cannot adjust it far enough to pull the desired volts (1.4 at idle) then you may have to knock out the small metal sleeves and/or drill out the holes in the TPS a bit to get more movement.

I did mine and I love the new shift points.

The following users liked this post:
94 12valve (06-29-2010)
Old 06-29-2010, 03:07 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

thanks that is very helpful. my tps was shot and i did all of the above with the tps as far as drilling out the holes and rotate it. so what speed is your o/d shifting at now?

Old 06-29-2010, 03:23 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by glfredrick
Increasing your system pressure won't necessarily effect your shift points. That is more determined by rpm than by pressure. FWIW, there is more than one pressure setting and reading in the transmission. Depending on which port you test, there are various recommended pressures. You'll need a good pressure gauge and an ATSG manual to know what you are doing. Pressures in that manual are:

Rear servo: Min. 145-175 -- Max. 230-280
Accumulator: Min. 54-60 -- Max. 90-96
Governor: Min. 0 (@ idle) -- Max. 1 PSI per 1 mph
Overdrive: Min. 68-72 -- Max. 90-120

Each of these has its own test port on the transmission and needs to be tested at a particular RPM range and shift point.

The TPS can adjust the point where torque converter lock-up and OD hit -- most guys would benefit from maxing out the voltage of the TPS. Check voltage across the center pin to the TPS (use a volt meter, positive to the center wire, negative to a good ground, and a pin or paper clip pushed up into the center terminal as far as you can get it -- helps to pull the connector and shove the wire up where you can see what you are doing, then reinstall the connector). Voltage should be around 1.0-1.4 at idle, and ramp up a maximum of 4 volts at WOT.

Adjustment is made by loosening the two screws that hold the TPS to the bracket, then rotate the TPS unit on the screws (it only moves a small amount). As you rotate it, watch the Volt Meter and set it where you want it. If you cannot adjust it far enough to pull the desired volts (1.4 at idle) then you may have to knock out the small metal sleeves and/or drill out the holes in the TPS a bit to get more movement.

I did mine and I love the new shift points.
What are they?

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

I did mine and I love the new shift points

Read more: https://www.dieselbombers.com/12-val...#ixzz0sH9GL800
What are they, thank you?

Last edited by motorboat; 06-29-2010 at 03:23 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quick Reply: shift points