12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

help

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 10:12 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help

I just got a 97 12v. i bought it with a bad tranny. the truck has 75 hp injectors and a shaved fuel plate. i think that is all that has been done to the engine other than blockin the wastegate. i am having the tranny rebuilt, but will that hold up to what has been done to the engine? what more should i do to the stock auto tranny to strengthen it up a bit? would a new torque converter be enough? what kind of price tag am i lookin at and could i get a used one?

Old 05-10-2010, 10:34 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Around here, you'll get answers that run from doing a good stock rebuild, to billet everything.

If that is all you are planning for your engine, a decent stock-type rebuild with quality parts (good clutch disks and bands) will get the job done -- IF -- you also add in a comprehensive valve body build to channel the right pressures and apply times to the plates and bands. At least a single plate billet torque converter from a reliable source is also necessary for any sort of longevity.

Here is a good site to check out as far as potential parts that go into a transmission build. Reading the site will help to educate you as to which parts you may need to beef up. Note that some parts are needed for drag racing, and may not produce the best diesel performance. Our torque ratings are vastly different than gasser high rpm stuff:
PATC 46RE 47RE 48RE Transmissions, Performance Transmission A518, 518

If you are pulling or racing, get the triple disk billet converter, billet input and output shafts, a built valve body, and high performance clutches, steels, and bands -- in other words, all the goodies (or call Gorend and buy a transmission).

Cost wise, a GOOD local builder can do more for less than some big chains, but make sure that the local builder knows his stuff. Find the guys in your area that are doing stuff with Dodge trucks and see who they are using or start making friends in the transmission shop business. Note that ALL of the builders will talk a good game, but few actually know what they are doing enough to really put together a decent build. I've called on shops for decades as a Snap On and Safety Kleen rep and have known over one hundred builders. They are not all created equal. I build myself, so I know what I'm looking at, and I've seen some horrendous stuff. I'll leave the shops un-named, but a couple of national chain shops come up all the time in that regard. Buyer beware!

Old 05-10-2010, 10:38 AM
Administrator

Received 340 Likes on 273 Posts

you should beef up the clutches and bands it needs a triple disc converter and a shift kit or valvebody
the converter cost will depend on where you get it i run goerend but there is suncoast percision and several others

Old 05-10-2010, 10:41 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

alright thanks a lot.. i guess i need to look into it.

Old 05-10-2010, 05:29 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

suncoast ,precision, and georend are all great convertors, cant go wrong!

Old 05-10-2010, 10:52 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 109 Likes on 95 Posts

I know with just a #6 plate I went through 3 stock rebuilt trans so i would recommend going with a decent torque converter and valve body. I went with Goerend and haven't had a problem since.

The biggest problems with the dodge automatics is they didn't install a torque converter that locked up at the right rpm ranges. Even if you don't do anything else I say call up one of the companies and ask them I know when I called goerend he actually talked with me and understood my limited cash flow and recommended what would be best for me on my budget.

Old 05-11-2010, 08:37 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

X2 adam buy a geroend they have converters in all didfrent price ranges call em up or i will for ya and see what they can do for ya.