12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

ring and pinion

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 12:14 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Default ring and pinion

well i started hearing terrible noises coming from my rear axle so i ripped off my diff cover and found two big metal teeth layin at the bottom. i have never done anything so axles before. where do i even start? how do i get those gears out first of all...

Old 03-07-2010, 12:32 AM
BOMBARDIER
Received 240 Likes on 192 Posts

check this out and see if it has the info you need axle, gear, and differential setup notes remove axles remove cover remove driveline remove the yoke lots of work involved and you need the right tools to do it

Old 03-07-2010, 12:53 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

oh jeez this isnt going to be fun. on a good note i will learn a lot. and of course all this happened in the middle of the worst hangover of my life.

Old 03-07-2010, 12:57 AM
BOMBARDIER
Received 240 Likes on 192 Posts

well good luck and yes you will learn alot and if you have any more questions ask and we will figure them out

Old 03-07-2010, 10:10 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Make sure you get a shim kit.

Old 03-08-2010, 01:50 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i just had the same thing happen i went to az differential and bought a new ring & pinion
mine was a dana 70 - u rearend 3.54 ratio i paid 250.00 for the gears ,pinion seal, & shims. took 2 days to get parts took me about 3 hrs to do the job. when you get the old pinion out dont loose any shims and where they came from. the nose of the pinion has
numbers engraved on it they tell the pinion depth. all you have to do is add or subtract the number on the new pinion and either add or remove the shims that set the depth they are the ones on the end that the teeth are broke off like my old one was +1 and the new one was 0 so i used all the same shims to keep preload on bearings then put the carrier back in you should have to pry on it once its in put the bolts that hold it on the sides in and check the backlash if its to loose add shims on the carrier to the side the ring gear is on that will tighten it up ect, there is a more complicated way to do it but
if you dont have a lot of special tools or cash the way i told you will work fine some will say you have to use dye on the gears to see where they ride . but if you get the depth right then set the backlash on ring it will work fine. hope that helps
oh the nut on the pinion is 1 5\16" and its tight i used a pipewrench with a cheater on it to hold the yoke and then a socket & breaker bar w\ a pipe slid over it it was about 3' long to be able to break the nut loose then smack the end of the pinion and it will come out. i forgot remove the carrier first