12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

Why does my truck not always start? It just makes ticking noises..

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 10:36 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i would probably start with a solenoid that would be cheaper than a starter. if you have a good battery and a weak battery or one not rated as high as the other one it will pull power from the good battery to charge the weak battery as if you were jumping another battery in a different truck. its the same principal its just a good and weak battery in your own truck.

Old 03-06-2010, 10:45 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 79 Likes on 66 Posts

double check the ground from batt to block, short of that, its probably the starter IMO. like said above, pull that small battery and run it off one. I can't justify the theory behind it, but mismatched batteries never work out for me and I always wind up with one effed up. I've never had a problem starting a cummins off one battery, but I don't know how much it stresses the batt.

Old 03-06-2010, 12:17 PM
Being Evaluated
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Red_Rattler
Damage occures because it will draw down the good one and mismatched battries is not a good idea anyways and no that has nothing to do with your issues... Like I mentioned look into rebuilding your starter. Its 39ish bucks and a new starter is like 400 to 500 for it. Heres the link click it to find the parts and instructions.

Rebuild Kit

Checking it out, thanks! The price is great but I've NEVER messed w/ a starter like that before. Wonder how much a shop would charge to redoe it if I provide the parts?

Originally Posted by Threesixty
So.. what the previous owner told you was a total lie and I'm sure he knew it, too.
Ya I'm sure he did too the more I think about it

Originally Posted by DieselMinded
Starter Contact Wear is a Common Issue !

LarryB's Dodge starting problems solved here.
Thanks much

Originally Posted by FastCR
double check the ground from batt to block, short of that, its probably the starter IMO. like said above, pull that small battery and run it off one. I can't justify the theory behind it, but mismatched batteries never work out for me and I always wind up with one effed up. I've never had a problem starting a cummins off one battery, but I don't know how much it stresses the batt.
I've checked grounds and the wiring; it looks all good under there :irk:

Old 03-06-2010, 12:23 PM
High Tech Redneck

Received 496 Likes on 397 Posts

If you can take the starter out you can rebuild it! It's not that bad and a great learning experience. All you need is basic hand tools a day in the driveway. You can do it!

Old 03-06-2010, 04:38 PM
Being Evaluated

Oh ya? The starter looks easy enough to access and I've got some decent tools. Is it pretty much bolting/unbolting parts to rebuild it?

Old 03-06-2010, 04:58 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

you need to have a 10 mm socket 12 point socked, or atleast i did for mine, i took my starter to a shop told them i wanted everything new in it was under a hundred,
i would put your bigger battery on the driver side, i drove around a long time with an 850 cca on the drivers side and a 450 on the passanger side

Old 03-06-2010, 05:35 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Threesixty
All I can say is. Dodge Cummins uses a regular 12 volt system just like any other gasoline car uses. And Dodge Cummins isn't one of those converted gasoline engines that use glow plugs that take minutes of cracking to get going in the morning. Which means a regular 12V battery shouldn't be having any click, click, click problems just because it's on the small side; as long as it's not a bad battery, anyway. These trucks don't really need two batteries, even.

So.. what the previous owner told you was a total lie and I'm sure he knew it, too.

I'll excuse your ignorance since your from texas. I realize you just can't help it. You have never tried to start a diesel when it is cold out have you? 40w oil is pretty thick when it gets cold. ANd if your somewhere that you can't plug your truck in your going to NEED two batteries. Trust me. In the summer you can get away with it pretty easily. Not during the winter.

And only converted gasoline engines use glow plugs?

85_305 Do you have access to a voltmeter or a battery charger? YOu could test voltage drops(or resistance) across your cables and the starter to make sure one of your cables doesn't have corrosion inside it. You could also put the meter across the battery and see what your cranking voltage is.

You can take the starter into most auto parts stores. They will usually test it for free. However the Larry B starter contacts are a good idea to install anyway as they also protect your fuel shutoff solenoid.(or is it the other way around? GAH! I knew all this a one time honest)

THe tick tick tick is usually caused by too low a voltage at the solenoid. Basically everything has juice just not ENOUGH. WHether that is because your battery is too small or mismatched or corrosion in the cables or worn starter contacts(or possibly defective windings) is up to you to find out.

The following users liked this post:
FastCR (03-07-2010)
Old 03-06-2010, 06:04 PM
High Tech Redneck

Received 496 Likes on 397 Posts

Correct its something like 3 screws to access the contacts and 2 nuts to get them off

Old 03-07-2010, 09:40 AM
Being Evaluated

Originally Posted by kazairl
I'll excuse your ignorance since your from texas. I realize you just can't help it. You have never tried to start a diesel when it is cold out have you? 40w oil is pretty thick when it gets cold. ANd if your somewhere that you can't plug your truck in your going to NEED two batteries. Trust me. In the summer you can get away with it pretty easily. Not during the winter.

And only converted gasoline engines use glow plugs?

85_305 Do you have access to a voltmeter or a battery charger? YOu could test voltage drops(or resistance) across your cables and the starter to make sure one of your cables doesn't have corrosion inside it. You could also put the meter across the battery and see what your cranking voltage is.

You can take the starter into most auto parts stores. They will usually test it for free. However the Larry B starter contacts are a good idea to install anyway as they also protect your fuel shutoff solenoid.(or is it the other way around? GAH! I knew all this a one time honest)

THe tick tick tick is usually caused by too low a voltage at the solenoid. Basically everything has juice just not ENOUGH. WHether that is because your battery is too small or mismatched or corrosion in the cables or worn starter contacts(or possibly defective windings) is up to you to find out.
Ya its 12* plus windchill around here almost daily, lower at night, not feeling too confident on only one battery, but I see the point he is trying to make. So what you are saying is IF my starter is to blame, it is the starter contacts for SURE? Would that 39$ starter rebuild kit posted be enough to repair my starter, or should I ONLY get the starter contacts or brushes or whatever they are called?

Originally Posted by Red_Rattler
Correct its something like 3 screws to access the contacts and 2 nuts to get them off
Oh snap.. this sounds almost too easy!!

Old 03-07-2010, 03:16 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

No I can't necessarily say for sure. I'm not there to work on it. I can't tell you it is any one thing because of that fact. Internet troubleshooting is a GUIDE because all we can do is point out to you the possibilities.

But I can say it is more than likely the problem if the starter is to blame. For how easy it is to install it and how cheap it is, its a good place to start if your going to start replacing stuff.

But like I said, I would get a voltmeter(even a cheap one will work) and do some tests first before I blame any one thing.

Quick Reply: Why does my truck not always start? It just makes ticking noises..