12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

Clutch Master/Slave Questions..

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 05:35 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Master/Slave Questions..

do the master and slave come apart after the quick connect has been connected? do you have to buy them as a set? i picked this up at a local yard with my new pedals and was wondering if i could just buy a new slave cylinder and braided steel hose w/ quick connect and save some money...

Attached Thumbnails Clutch Master/Slave Questions..-iphone-387.jpg   Clutch Master/Slave Questions..-iphone-337.jpg  
Old 02-25-2010, 07:07 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 102 Likes on 94 Posts

in pic 1, look at where the hose goes into the clutch master. there is a cylinder shaped little pin that locks the hose in. tap that out, the hose will pop right out. make sure your braided line has the same input. pop the new line in, and reinsert (press) the pin in. after that, youll have to bleed it. if the slave has a bleed screw on it (only some of them do) bleed it like you would brakes. if not, you have to assemble it out of the truck, and bleed it on a bench, which can be kind of a pain if you dont know how to do it

Old 02-25-2010, 08:12 PM
Diesel Fan

thanks for the info, prob just use a drift pin or something and pop the old pin out? and then it just reattaches the same way I assume. and just putting it out there what's the life on a master cylinder milage wise? this one had 89,000 on it, probably safe?

Old 02-26-2010, 06:26 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

in the rebuild manual it recommends buying the hydro's as one unit, apparently they come sealed as one unit from factory and can be a bitch to bleed.

Old 02-26-2010, 12:04 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 102 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by 96blackcloud
in the rebuild manual it recommends buying the hydro's as one unit, apparently they come sealed as one unit from factory and can be a bitch to bleed.
if you bleed it out of the truck, and have a vise, its very easy to do.

the whole you have to buy it as a kit thing is just a myth the dealer uses to bend you over for more money. i just use a very small philips screwdriver and gently tap it out. they come out fairly easily, then after plugging in the new line, i use a vice and line it up, and slowly roll it back in. you can also do it with channel locks or big pliers but the vise its much easier and smoother.

if you choose to do it that way let me know and ill be more than happy to explain it step by step. i bled mine in about 3 minutes out of the truck thanks to the help from peter at southbend

Old 04-20-2010, 01:25 AM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by tltruckparts
i bled mine in about 3 minutes out of the truck thanks to the help from peter at southbend
so im pretty sure i got mine all bled and connected up right. what i did was keep the reservoir above the rest of the assembly, filled with dot 3, pumped slave and refilled a couple times, pumped master... refilled. seems air free and working correct

any further input?! should i be set.
i also have an extra slave and master, no reservoir no lines if anyone wants... out of a 97. i cant post in the for sale boards yet.