12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

Looking at 12v for son

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 07:39 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can answer alot of questions by looking at the afc housing and making sure the break-off screw in the upper right corner is still there, then you know its a virgin
The Kdp you will never be able to see, a goopy mess of rtv around the timing cover lets you know that someone has been in there, if they did it or not, you will not know. Good luck, Check that front end I know the 4x4 is expensive and often

Old 01-05-2010, 11:05 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I forgot to say it's a two wheel drive and the guy wants $4200. for it.

Old 01-05-2010, 01:23 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 79 Likes on 66 Posts

buy it!!!

Old 01-07-2010, 05:40 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

sounds like a steal to me

Old 01-07-2010, 07:14 AM
BTI
Diesel Fan

Run carfax or other car check service on it.
You can do this before you ever go look.
It won't catch everything.......but it will let you know if there is something that just slaps you in the face.
It will also let you know where the truck spent it's life.
I've found quite a few "One owner" vehicles that were far from it with a simple running of the carfax or autocheck on it.
Myself I prefer autocheck.
You have to be a bit sly also.....
Ask if he has ALL records of anything done......after looking at them, then calmly mention KDP.
If he goes into detail and it is clean around the front cover you are probably good.
I was told on the truck I have now it was done........It wasn't.

BTI

Old 01-09-2010, 07:02 PM
Diesel Fan

Well I drove an hour to see the truck this AM. The guy knew nothing about the service history of the Dodge. He says he recently purchased it from a Mexican farm worker who needed the money Turns out it's not a 96 but a 95. opened the hood to see a filthy,oily air filter in the shape of a large Coke bottle sucked in from the intake suction. Timing cover looked like it has never been removed so the Killer dowell pin will need tabing. I looked at the wrong area so I couldn't tell if the Tamper proof screw had been removed so I won't know until I see it again, if ever. Took it for a driveand that went pretty well. It pulls to the left slightly but the clutch and trans shifted smoothly. The guy tells me that the Mexican man told him the clutch had been replaced recently. It had a pyrometer on the pillar. Every time we turned the engine off in order to restart it the guy would have to raise the hood and reach under the P-pump and lift a small lever up then it would start instantly. The body was ok with only a few dents and so so paint. The tires were all worn out but the wear seemed even. The interior was poor condition with a big chunk of foam out of the drivers seat and the radio missing leaving an ugly hole in the dash The air bag lite was on constantly. No way I'll give $4200. for this truck but I'll wait a week and make a ridculous offer ( like he probably gave the Mexican guy ) That 12valve did run nice for all the apparent poor service.

Old 01-09-2010, 07:08 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

yea sounds like the fuel solenoid is worn out, mine did that same thing , no biggie put new one on an ur good there as far as the interior prolly need sum tlc how many miles on the motor?

Old 01-09-2010, 07:19 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Not having seen the truck myself it sounds like common cosmetic problems from that era. $4200 doesnt sound too awfully bad but it is all in what you want to pay for the truck because with 160k I would be willing to bet that the motor and trans are ok so if infact you could make a rediculous offer you might be able to fix the cosmetic issues and still come out ok in the deal. Good luck with your search hope you find what you are looking for

Old 01-10-2010, 04:10 PM
BTI
Diesel Fan

Take a look through the classifieds and see what you can find close to you for that money.
It helps to use as a guide. Same as ebay/craigslist and other "sell" sites.
These trucks (12v) aren't always necessarily "good values" when it just comes to having a truck.
12v's have developed quite the following so for what they are they do demand a premium UNLESS the sellers doesn't know what he has.

KO

Old 01-11-2010, 12:28 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by BTI
Take a look through the classifieds and see what you can find close to you for that money.
It helps to use as a guide. Same as ebay/craigslist and other "sell" sites.
These trucks (12v) aren't always necessarily "good values" when it just comes to having a truck.
12v's have developed quite the following so for what they are they do demand a premium UNLESS the sellers doesn't know what he has.

KO
That is a good idea I did that for about a year before I found mine. I looked at the years around what I was looking for and would compare prices,mileage,condition that way when I found one I liked I knew what I would be worth. When I found mine ended up talking the guy down 1800 just cause the same year/cond elsewhere was that much less than what he was asking for it.