12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

i got problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 10:59 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

thats what i thought too

Old 07-31-2007, 08:07 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Your AFC location has nothing to do with EGT's, as it is "pre-boost fueling" once you hit boost the springs in there compress and the gov arm hits the plate.

1300 is not bad at all at WOT. The Cummins can hold that for a loonnnnggg grade.

A timing advance should cool you down alot, about 16.5 degrees max on the stock h/g.

BTW-put some real gsk's in there, the washers just compromise your pumps life!

The following 2 users liked this post by mrector:
DBogo (07-31-2007), Johnny Cetane (07-31-2007)
Old 07-31-2007, 08:13 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 492 Likes on 383 Posts

thanks. hey welcome to diesel bombers BTW!!!

washers have been out for 2 months now. that didn't change anything.

here's an update, pulled the afc last night and the plate. just looking for something i guess. funny thing i noticed when i noticed before i pulled my plate.

the gov arm comes forward and makes contact with the plate, but it doesn't climb the plate when you swing the throttle. just hits the bottom and stays there.

that normal??? truck need to be running for the throttle to climb the plate?

moving the afc back didn't change anything BTW.

Old 07-31-2007, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by Johnny Chimpo
the gov arm comes forward and makes contact with the plate, but it doesn't climb the plate when you swing the throttle. just hits the bottom and stays there.

that normal??? truck need to be running for the throttle to climb the plate?

moving the afc back didn't change anything BTW.
The gov arm should "climb" the plate, by at least 1/8th inch (this is by most I've seen, mine included)

I think(not 100% sure) that it does have to be running to "climb" the plate.

If moving the AFC back didnt help your EGT's, then maybe you have a timing problem. You can check your pre-filter screen and clean it, if needed. You already said you had a new filter, so this is not a prob.

By far......the two best mods to my truck(s) were gsk's and advanced timing, more wow factor and cheap too!

Mikey

Old 07-31-2007, 09:07 AM
Diesel Bomber

well maybe it is a timing issue. truck runs good, starts good, and has decent power for the few mods i do have.

the pump might have to come off due to an oil leak DBogo and i have in common. see this thread here: PUMP LEAK
be able to check timing then.

what's the best way to check for a leaking injector? IR thermometer?

Old 07-31-2007, 10:21 AM
Diesel Bomber

here's a list of plate profiles so you can see how the banks profile compares to others. just so you guys can see what i'm dealing with.

Attached Thumbnails i got problems-allplateprofiles.jpg  

Last edited by Johnny Cetane; 07-31-2007 at 10:27 AM.
The following users liked this post:
DBogo (07-31-2007)
Old 07-31-2007, 01:25 PM
Diesel Wrench

thats a great lineup of plates there, also welcome to the site mikey

well my egts are about the same, i have changed the fuel filter and cleaned the preheater screen, didnt help any, i also get a rough idle and a stumble when warm im thinking i may have a bad injector does that sound probable, also i got a set of 215 injectors, can i just put them in or should they be pop tested first, also do i need any new washers when i put them in?

Last edited by DBogo; 07-31-2007 at 01:28 PM.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:33 PM
Diesel Bomber

how about valves? misadjusted valves cause this? don't think mine's ever been touched.

Old 08-03-2007, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by DBogo
thats a great lineup of plates there, also welcome to the site mikey

well my egts are about the same, i have changed the fuel filter and cleaned the preheater screen, didnt help any, i also get a rough idle and a stumble when warm im thinking i may have a bad injector does that sound probable, also i got a set of 215 injectors, can i just put them in or should they be pop tested first, also do i need any new washers when i put them in?
You could have a going bad injector, or trash in it. Could be a number of things, overflow valve, lift pump having issues, the most common: timing slip.

The 215's, unless you have a shop near by that can pop-test them for cheap, I'd go ahead and install them(if previous owner of them didnt have any problems) Also, you'll need a new injector install kit, you can get them from Cummins. But after many trips to my local Advance auto store(I am friends with the manager too) they stock them, about 15-20 bucks. Work fine.

Hey, did you ever tab that KDP with the tab I sent you?

»»»»»»»»»»»««««««««««««
AutoMerged DoublePost
»»»»»»»»»»»««««««««««««

Originally Posted by Johnny Chimpo
how about valves? misadjusted valves cause this? don't think mine's ever been touched.
Adjusting the valves can only help, I doubt it is causing what your describing. Adjusting the valves is easy, Dave Fritz's site's valve adjustment instructions

Last edited by mrector; 08-03-2007 at 05:42 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
The following users liked this post:
Johnny Cetane (08-03-2007)
Old 08-03-2007, 06:08 AM
Diesel Wrench

i didnt tab the kdp yet, i been workin a lot and i cannot find anyone around here to help me out with it, its sitting right next to me and i look at it every day and say damn i should do that soon

so advance auto has the injector install kit, do you have any kinda part number for it?

Quick Reply: i got problems