12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

WOT then dies and hard to start

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 12:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WOT then dies and hard to start

Hard to explain like this but here goes.I was driving down the road one day when I heard a ticking noise like a lifter so i put my foot on the clutch and it died.I pulled over and fired it back up started fine so I carried on.About 2 km down the hwy it started again I touched the throttle and there was no response then I pushed WOT and it came on hard and stuck there after stompping the peddle a few times it went down.It's done it quite a bit since then and it seems worse when idling for a while or in town.I know when it is going to happen because it will crank for a bit when starting.Truck has 370hp marine injectors and previous pump work unknown.Any help where to start looking on the pump would be nice.Thanks

Old 11-28-2009, 01:08 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 87 Likes on 64 Posts

I would probably have the pump removed and sent to a shop to have them go though it.

Most of the time when a pump goes into what we call runaway mode(the pump sticking in WOT or not shutting down even though the shutdown solenoid is functioning)its a internal issue of some kind.Throw in the fact that you know little about the work done internally and it would off and out getting looked at if it was mine.

Old 11-28-2009, 12:11 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 47 Likes on 44 Posts

x2.sounds like internal pump issue to me.

Old 11-28-2009, 11:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I pulled the AFC off today to check the fuel plate and found what appears to be the stock fuel plate FF and the gov arm was bareley catching the bottom .Would this arm falling under the plate and getting stuck cause the throttle or rack to stick?Or any of the other symptoms ,no start ,run away ?Adjusted it anyway but no insurance on truck right now (and im in northern Alberta right now with Albertans and snow)so I could only warm it up and rip around the neighbourhood ,which has caused high idle and throttle sticking before but could not be sure fix is complete yet.Also thought about broken gov springs throttle also seems to go higher than norm 3100+ and snap ,crackle ,barks

Old 02-01-2012, 01:24 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Im bumping an old thread instead of starting a new one as I am having the exact same issue...

My plates ground to #100 and both it and the AFC are full forward, and the gov springs are 2 clicks in. I ran like this for 15xxxkm with no issue since I got the truck a few months ago, but it started doing this randomly as of late.

I can't seem to get it to do it at low speed, but if you go WOT 4-5th gear and it does it, it will continue until you cycle the ignition and start/stop the truck several times.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:34 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Not sure if your pump has it done but some people shim out their rack plug and there is a little plate in there that can work sideways and make the rack hang up. just a guess though.

Old 02-01-2012, 12:04 PM
Diesel Fan

Nope, haven't touched the plug and the truck was bone-*** stock when I got it.

Old 02-01-2012, 05:55 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

My vote is gov. Arm going under plate. Pull afc off and push throttle all the way forward and see if gov. arm is going under or getting hung up. Thats were id start!

Old 02-04-2012, 01:03 AM
Diesel Fan

Doesn't appear to be going under, atleast when I'm moving the throttle linkage by hand... does the arm change position (lower?) with different RPM? I returned the plate and AFC to stock position and it still does it.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:00 AM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 367 Likes on 251 Posts

Internal issue. I would start at governors personally but if you have no internal experience send it to Scheid or another qualified shop.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Quick Reply: WOT then dies and hard to start