12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

10 PSI of fuel pressure

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 09:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 10 PSI of fuel pressure

I just got the truck 1000 miles ago, it's a 1994 2WD manual with 151K. The truck drives fine under normal low RPM fuel saving type conditions but it seems to die off or "lose power" at around 2000 rpm. I installed gauges and the fuel pressure is only at 10PSI at an idle and does not get any higher at all but it does drop! I got the screen kit and a fuel filter that I am going to do today but I was curious of what else to look at if it persists or if I throw a lift pump at it.

Old 11-26-2009, 09:20 AM
Administrator

Received 340 Likes on 273 Posts

you need a lift pump to low of pressure it should have 25 at idle

Old 11-26-2009, 09:31 AM

I am aware that it should have 18psi minimum at idle, maybe I was a bit unclear. I would prefer some advice on other areas to look at to be sure it's the pump, although I doubt it's not the pump I want to make sure everything is rite prior to installing a new one to make sure it is the pump and to insure the new pump is working correctly. I have not ever dealt with one of these pumps, well the entire 12v setup is new to me so I would like to learn.
I plan on getting the system up to par and then adding a better filter system to it.

Old 11-26-2009, 09:37 AM
Administrator

Received 340 Likes on 273 Posts

well u can start with a pinch test u can pinch the return line and see if the pressure goes up and run better

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Originally Posted by EBSTEVE
I am aware that it should have 18psi minimum at idle, maybe I was a bit unclear. I would prefer some advice on other areas to look at to be sure it's the pump, although I doubt it's not the pump I want to make sure everything is rite prior to installing a new one to make sure it is the pump and to insure the new pump is working correctly. I have not ever dealt with one of these pumps, well the entire 12v setup is new to me so I would like to learn.
I plan on getting the system up to par and then adding a better filter system to it.
go with an air dog 150 they are 499.00 and u get the 2micron and 10 micron filters as well as a great pump with a lifetime warrenty

Last edited by 12vcummins96; 11-26-2009 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-26-2009, 09:49 AM

I don't think I need the $500 setup, I will get the system working as it should and throw in another filter. IMO putting in an electric pump would only complicate the simple mechanical system I have now. Don't get me wrong I did a quick search for the air dog 150 and it's a nice looking, compact setup, I just think it's a bit more than I am looking for.

Old 11-26-2009, 11:12 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

check for leaks in the feed line from the tank to the back of the engine, i used and electric air matress pump with a towel around the nozzel to fit in the filler neck (an idea I borrowed from someone here) or just replace with diesel rated rubber from the tank to the back of the engine. check the 1/2" rubber hose between the prefilter and lift pump, mine was cracked where it couldnt be seen. check the metal lines coming off the tank fuel sending unit.

Old 11-26-2009, 11:24 AM

You put some pressure to the system and found the leaks, sounds like a good idea. I may just figure out how much hose and do all the rubber lines anyway, the truck is almost 16 years old and it's rubber lines do have a life span. The truck was out of fuel when I bought it and took around 4 hours to get it to start, I want to do as much as possible at the same time so I only have to prime the system once.
I think I have a few ideas of what to do, now I just need to convince my wife that watching the gauge for me while I pinch the return line is something she wants to do, and that me doing some work on Thanksgiving is ok or at least better than football.

Old 11-26-2009, 11:51 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

just tell her that watching the gauge could save u money and time by eliminating the overflow valve as a suspect. I just finished putting a draw straw in today..unfortunately they sent it with the wrong size fitting so i have to wait a few days before i put the tank back on. if the metal lines on top the sending unit leak u have 3 options..1. draw straw $50 (some small modifications to the sending unit and cutting the tube on the draw straw required)..2.there is a company that makes just the replacement line assemble that looks like the original $160 or 3.replace the whole sending unit...$300

Old 11-26-2009, 12:33 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

put a new check valve in my truck fuel presure went from 10 psi to 21psi just a thought.

Old 11-26-2009, 04:03 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

sounds like a weak overflow valve spring to me

Quick Reply: 10 PSI of fuel pressure