12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

injection pump gone....

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 05:00 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default injection pump gone....?

well... it's broke. joy riding today and almost back home, throttle hits the sealing.... turn the key off. get out and already pissed off, pop the hood and oil everywhere and puddling on the ground. the oil is draining out my injection pump... i need some advice and someone to start pointing me in the right direction or tell me what to start doing. i'm supposed to be moving within the next month and need it to trailer my cattle. .....man this sucks

also what we looking at as far as numbers for price on this fix...

well, just went and started looking it over real good. throttle cable broke, thats what caused the truck to rev to 4k plus. but like i said, before i could turn it off it damaged my injection pump and it's leaking oil. also, i think it burnt my clutch and my tranny was making noise again after i just fixed it. this is just one big heaping load of bull... everyone go check your throttle cable so it don't fail on you

any one near houston, feel free to lend me a hand on this one when i start trying to fix it.....

Last edited by joshmock; 11-01-2009 at 05:14 PM.
Old 11-01-2009, 05:27 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The plug for the govenor might have rattled loose and there was a recall on the throttle cable as far as I know check and see if it was done or not that's where id start

Old 11-01-2009, 05:33 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 87 Likes on 64 Posts

Correct me if I am wrong here,but,were you not just the one who dropped a socket into the pump?.

The throttle cable breaking will not cause the motor to free rev as you stated,it will just go back to an idle and leave you sit.IF the throttle stuck wide open I'd bet money on the missing tool finally jamming inside the weights and breaking the governor assembly and shearing off the cable.

IF you got the motor shut down soon enough and it didn't rev to long above 4k then maybe you may just have a pump repair or swap to do.The cost would be determined by what shop does the pump repair or builds you a new pump,then add the cost of switching them.

At any rate the cost will not be cheap but if the motors not damaged then the cost is not going to be out of sight............Andy

Old 11-01-2009, 05:45 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

i did drop the socket, but i looked for two days with magnets and didn't retrieve or even see anything. the responses i got were that it couldn't have gone far, so i assumed it had dropped elsewhere. the motor only free rev for less then 5 seconds. if the socket finally showed up, where could it have gotten too. i though that it only could have gotten to the bottom oil resevoir. the throttle was stuck wide open until i went and pulled it back.... you said it should have come back on it's own.

Old 11-01-2009, 05:49 PM
BOMBARDIER

Received 338 Likes on 289 Posts

it should have come back on its own. so that seems like it was something inernally that messed up. good luck gettin it fixed

Old 11-01-2009, 05:53 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 87 Likes on 64 Posts

Throttle has two return spring that will pull the lever back if the cable breaks off or comes undone.If the throttle cable had a plastic sheath over the cable then it was changed out already as the older cables were just bare cable that frayed easily.

Again...
Something jammed in the governor assembly,either the lost socket or a bound governor spring if you did something during a install of them.You need to clean it up good and survey the damage to get a better idea of what really happened and what can be done to fix it.

I know this is not what you want to hear,but,if that was my truck I would have pulled the injection pump and had it looked at when you lost the tool.The minor cost of that repair then would certainly be alot cheaper than what you face now.

Last edited by Hammer; 11-01-2009 at 05:57 PM.
Old 11-01-2009, 06:00 PM
BOMBARDIER

Received 338 Likes on 289 Posts

X2. never leave a part in anything, even if there is just a possibilty of it being inside. trust me, ive learned my lesson several times over bout this. better to do it right the first time then doin it twice and spending more money.

Old 11-01-2009, 06:59 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

i did spend some time trying to find the part, but i thought i would have found it. i didn't think there was a need to tear the injection pump off, because the piece couldn't have gotten far. the bottom of the injection pump isn't very far down and the piece was large. i searched from top to bottom with the magnet. is there a hole in the bottom where a 10mm soecket could have fit down into or something. also, why would it be leaking oil? if the socket did find the magnets and stuck the throttle open. could it have ejected something thru the side of the injection pump? if the socket is the problem, i tried to the best of my knowledge to find it. i mean yeah it sucks, but i don't feel like i didn't try my very best to find it.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

also, where are these magnets located that the socket would have merged with. i will start looking there i think...

Last edited by joshmock; 11-01-2009 at 06:59 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-01-2009, 07:11 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts

i dont think there are magnets in the pump itself. i think they were talking about when you were searching for the socekt with magnets. and if the socket got stuck between the governor weights and the governor housing it could have cracked the housing causing you roil problem and it may have tweaked or bent the governor in a way that it caused the throttle to stick wide open. there's a good bit of linkage in there that could have caused the socket to bind and not come out with the magnet. front half of the pump may still be ok. replacing the governor and such may be cheaper but taking it to a pump shop is your best option at this point. when it broke you must have clutched for the engine to "free spin" as in gear a vehicle wont just tach out instnatly; even in a low gear to preserve engine internals loading the engine with your brakes would have been a better bet; then shutting the key off... although hard on everything; avoiding the cost of a rebuild it worth its weight in gold

Old 11-01-2009, 07:27 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

i killed the motor as soon as it reved up, got out checked everything and then got back in. started it to see if it would even start, and it free reved for just a second more before i turned it off and pulled it home. i guess it's time to start reading on pump rebuild... any links would be appreciated.

Quick Reply: injection pump gone....