12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

timing 911 need help asap

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 08:54 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Exclamation timing 911 need help asap

So I got my timing set from snap on today everything was goin fine until I went to get tdc using the timing pin but the timing pin was missing not existant I searched everywhere under the pump and by the powersterring pump the retainer is ther but the deal you push in is gone. My question is is how do you find tdc without it I have the whole front of my truck apart cus I'm doin the kdp and the drive cover gasket since I had a leak. Can someone who's done there own timing give me a call and tell me what I need to do. My number is 5302827522 I have to get this done tonight

Thanks
Dave

Old 10-23-2009, 10:17 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

when, you rotate the motor wait for the intake valve to go down then come back up. when its at the top go slow and as soon as you see the exhaust valve barly start moving stop! your at tdc on that cylinder

Old 10-24-2009, 01:14 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts

at that point your in valve overlap...and your actually TDC on it's companion cylinder

Old 10-24-2009, 01:19 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

Well I ended up pulling the accessory drive cover off might as well have got the timing set. Now my question is can I make my own tab for the kdp. And is it that dowel above but kinda between the pump and cam gears

Old 10-24-2009, 01:24 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts

actually in your description when the exhaust valve just starts to move your at BDC and the piston is getting ready to come up on the engines exhaust stroke... AFTER the exhaust valve starts to come up roll the truck over slowly; right before the exhaust valve closes the intake rocker will start to open; this is when that cylinder is on over lap. a small ammount of charge air is allowed to creep into the cylinder prior to full lift and exhaust valve closure to evacuate the cylinder. at this time the companion cylinder will be on TDC compression stroke. cyl 1 being cyl 6's "companion"

Old 10-24-2009, 10:26 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

well i know thats the way everyone told me to find top dead center. and i used my method for every cylinder when i changed my valve springs. and im sure the cylinder was at tdc cause the valve only moved 1/4 inch till it hit the piston. they didnt drop.

Old 10-24-2009, 12:37 PM
Site Mascot
Received 940 Likes on 701 Posts

yes making yer own dowel pin tab is easy from a 3/8 fender washer

Old 10-24-2009, 01:18 PM
Administrator

Received 340 Likes on 273 Posts

there are timing marks on the gears if you got the cover off

Old 10-24-2009, 04:08 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 157 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by tower_ofpower
actually in your description when the exhaust valve just starts to move your at BDC and the piston is getting ready to come up on the engines exhaust stroke... AFTER the exhaust valve starts to come up roll the truck over slowly; right before the exhaust valve closes the intake rocker will start to open; this is when that cylinder is on over lap. a small ammount of charge air is allowed to creep into the cylinder prior to full lift and exhaust valve closure to evacuate the cylinder. at this time the companion cylinder will be on TDC compression stroke. cyl 1 being cyl 6's "companion"
this changes if the cam is not stock

I would roll the motor untill both the intake and exhaust valves are loose. that means your on the compression stroke for that cylender. pull the #1 injector and use a screwdriver to find when the piston comes all the way up. roll the motor slowly till the piston just begins to fall and mark the damper, roll the motor the other way till the piston just begins to fall again and mark the damper. in the middle of the marks is TDC for cylender #1.

I did this to my buddys truck and my own, he checked his after with a dial indicator on the piston and found we were dead on with the screwdriver.

Old 10-24-2009, 07:38 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Thanks for all the help guys I got her finnished set the timing at 17 is that to much I figured it was the happy medium between 16 and 18 got the idle reset. What gains can I expect to see now that I have it done

Quick Reply: timing 911 need help asap