12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

Starter not engaging

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 04:01 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Starter not engaging

My batteries wouldnt hold a charge long enough for me to get my air in fuel problem located so I went to murrys and picked up 2 new batteries rated for my 96 5.9l cummins. They were tested and at 90% charge). After installing the batteries i turned the key to start and could hear the shut off solenoid engage but the stater didnt. I pulled the starter off and looked at the contacts...they are from larry B and they had some wear but still in good shape. I put it back together and reinstalled it. Any ideas as to whats wrong with the starter? would bad bushings cause it to not engage at all? how can i test it while its still on the truck? or how could i test it off the truck?
sorry for all the questions..I am really in a jam here.

Old 10-17-2009, 05:25 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

it probly the connections check all the grounds and cables. bc mine is doin that right now just a click let up then do it again and it starts thats bc my positive is a lil loose on the driver side. take them off and use some like 50 grit or a stiff metal brush and rough up the posts and clamps

Old 10-17-2009, 06:09 PM
Diesel Fan

i gave the cables and ends a good cleaning with a wire brush and some sandpaper before i installed the new batteries. I dont even get a click at the starter solenoid... the fuell cut off solenoid clicks into place when i turn the key to start but nothing else happens. I was thinking to run a jumper from the battery to the small wire going to the starter and see if that does anything. If not i will pull the starter apart and look at the brushes.
when i had the starter off before, i pushed the plunger down and spun the gear. it made a clicking sound as it spun. Not sure if thats normal.
I have never installed brushes before so will be a learning experience. Hopefully not one of those bad learning experiences...

Old 10-17-2009, 07:29 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

o then it probly is the brushes then there was a post on here that you could buy the brushes and wat ever you need nut i dont remember some one will chime in that knows

Old 10-17-2009, 07:39 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

Check you starter solnoid its on the fire wall most the time they go bad trace your little 16g wire off the starter i know mine is in the fuse box under the hood not to sure where yours is it should have a fuse then a relay solnoid then to the starter hope this helps

Old 10-18-2009, 10:59 AM
Diesel Fan

there is a starter relay in the fuse box under the hood, I had pulled it and looked and the contacts look good. well didnt look burnt so no obvious damage. I dont have a tester to test it at the moment. thanks for the help...gives me some things to check.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

ok tested starter by running a wire from positive on battery to the small wire on the sdtarter...the fuel shutoff engaged but the starter did nothing...pulled starter apart and found a piece of copper beoken off...flat piece looks like an L. I looked at the brush plate and the housing and cant figure out where it came from. one end is L shaped and the other end is U shaped looks like it clamped down on a flat piece.. any ideas?
i know the Larry B rebuld kit comes with the brush plate but it doesnt show where that piece would go and doesnt look like it comes on the brush plate. please advise if u can help....

Last edited by Jerroh; 10-18-2009 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-18-2009, 11:17 AM
Banned
Received 3,297 Likes on 1,640 Posts
Old 10-18-2009, 05:51 PM
Diesel Fan

ty but i think my main problem is finding out where the L shaped piece of copper came from...it could be just distorted so bad it was a different shape...If i could see the inside of a starter housing that would give me something to go by...but looking inside the housing i cannot tell where the copper piece came from. The brushes are chewed and will be getting some from Larry B. now if i can only solve the puzzle of where that piece broke off from. there are 2 wirse connecting (soldered) the brush plate to the housing. and all 4 metal plates inside the housing are connected to both the inner and outer copper ring. so where the heck would the other piece come from....i did notice one copper ring was a C shape and not a complete ring...not sure it thats normal. without another starter to look at I am clueless at this point.

Pics of piece broken off starter

Can anybody Identify the copper piece in the picture ....its thicker than the rest of the copper in the starter coils...is there some copper that runs to the housing for a ground?

Last edited by Jerroh; 10-18-2009 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost