12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

changed overflow valve,lines,STILL HARDSTARTING!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 07:06 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default changed overflow valve,lines,STILL HARDSTARTING!!

if you have read my other post about hard starting I am having hard starting problems.
I thought it was the overflow valve ,which i changed oout to the bosch type with the ball on the end.i hope i installed it correctly.I just put it back in the same spot with washers.....there is a ball in a hole i can see in the overflow valve replacement....but see no leaks.

I have recently changed/replaced
FUEL pump-cummins brand
fuel heater remove/delete
return and supply lines from firewall to block and fuel bowl-pump.fuel line from local parts store
overflow valve-bosch brand
fuel filter(local parts store brand)was doing hard start before switch.

now it is really hard to start,sometimes the solenoid doesnt seem to work.but lifting it up only seems to work occasionaly,today.
Sometimes I hear a distinct pop noise,and right after that when i crank the truck will start.
it comes somewhere from the engine bay.

i am running a 50/50 veg-diesel mix
I have not dropped the tank-does the fuel tank screen have a long tube on it?pics?

thanks for any advice

Old 10-16-2009, 08:08 PM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 367 Likes on 251 Posts

Injector leaking down due to the 50/50 mix would be my first guess. Have you checked flow? If you hear a click or pop and the truck starts I'd be looking at a short in the Shut-off solenoid wiring. Might try using the shutoff manually for a while and see if it cures your problem!

Old 10-16-2009, 08:15 PM
Administrator

Received 340 Likes on 273 Posts

i agree with mystery it sounds like the shutoff solinoid start there relay coulb be stickin to that soloinoid

Old 10-17-2009, 01:20 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

i am not sure what is being said about the selonoid.
it doesnt only start when i hear the pop noise.but whenever i do hear it.it always starts running after i crank.
would the fuel heater delete cause a short if oil or water got into connection plug of the fuel heater?
if it is the selonoid then why wont it start when I lift the selonoid arm up myself and it is held there?

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

OKAYYYYYYYYYYY
took out selonoid
held fuel shutoff lever while someone else cranked the engine STILLLLLLLL no start?
wtf????
open lines?
drop tank???

Last edited by will1am; 10-17-2009 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-17-2009, 02:34 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts

Are you heating the fuel before it gets to the injectors? If not you've probably wrecked them already. Another thing, how well are you filtering the WVO? Like, down to what micron? I used to press oil, and even after filtering down to 2 microns through a sock filter (Raycor), sediment would still settle out to the bottom of our tanks. We wound up with a centrifugal filter, which seemed to solve the problem. We only ran WVO in our Steiger, which I converted to WVO with numerous heaters and a HD 10/2 micron fuel filter setup. Anything that went into the trucks, even the 12V, was converted to Bio before it was put in the tank. I used to be a firm believer in WVO/SVO, but not anymore... Bio only in my trucks.

Old 10-17-2009, 03:36 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

i am not heating the fuel.i live in FL..today was it a COLD 72 degrees when i started my truck:and it did start on the first try.shut it off after driving for 30 minutes +...cranked over 5 minutes after shutting off no start.have cranked it 20 times today,STILL NO START

about to drop the tank....

Old 10-17-2009, 07:14 PM
Diesel Bomber

I don't care if its 100 degree's, thats too cold for veg. Obviously you're making good fuel pressure to the P-Pump, now is the pump actually pumping? We don't know... Its rare for a P-Pump to go bad, but if you're running dirty veg, it'll wreck the plungers and cylinders.

How are you filtering the Veg?

Old 10-18-2009, 11:57 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

i removed and put back in the overflow valve and opened the injector lines at the pump and saw fuel squirt out while cranking.bled line at injectors and it ran.started and stop the engine a few times to make sure it wasnt a fluke with success.just did a drive and got the motor hot,will see if she fires again in a few minutes.......

after driving it for 10 minutes I let it sit for an hour and a half.I starteed it again and it started after abiut 3 seconds after pushing on the accelerator.i let it run for a few minutes shut off waited about 3 minutes and it wouldnt start again.try again tommorow,.arrrrrrrgh.

started it again this morning and it was cooler out today.about 60 degrees.it cranked a little slower than usuall.after three seconds of cranking I pushed on the accelerator and the engined began running.just got home after 2 hours of running engine with out stopping.
see if it want to start again.

Last edited by will1am; 10-18-2009 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-18-2009, 12:05 PM
FormerVendor
Received 136 Likes on 121 Posts

Are you leaking fuel out the returns by any chance?

Old 10-18-2009, 12:43 PM
Diesel Bomber

Alright... Ignore my question if you want, but I'll ask one more time incase you've missed it the last 2.

HOW ARE YOU FILTERING THE WVO/SVO?