12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

changed overflow valve,lines,STILL HARDSTARTING!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 01:06 PM
FormerVendor
Received 136 Likes on 121 Posts

Im with mccall on this one. WO is some thick nasty stuff if not used properly.

Old 10-18-2009, 07:09 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i dont see the return lines leaking around the engine bay.i have seen some sediment in the screen bowl but cleaned it out along with a new filter.I am filtering the WO through cloth.I use two pieces on top of each other.thick cotton t shirt type of cloth.

Old 10-18-2009, 10:31 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts

LMFAO... Dude... That ain't even NEAR sufficient.

I pressed oil for a living, worked for the now dissolved Wilson Energy doing it... Veg isn't clean to start with, then cooking with it makes it that much worse. Have you ever done a crackle test to check for water? Where are you getting the veg? Is it hydrogenated oil? What type of oil is it? Peanut? Soy? Canola? There's a lot you need to know, you just can't pour anything in the tank.

If I were you, I'd stop using it. You need to filter down to 2 micron, if you're at 100 micron you're lucky. You WILL wreck the engine if you continue to run the truck the way you are, I've seen it personally.

Not trying to bash on you at all, but you jumped into veg a little too quick, and you need some help. Stop using straight veg, and either make it into bio, or do some serious research before you run veg again.

Old 10-18-2009, 11:42 PM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 367 Likes on 251 Posts

I agree 100%

Originally Posted by MotorOilMcCall
LMFAO... Dude... That ain't even NEAR sufficient.

I pressed oil for a living, worked for the now dissolved Wilson Energy doing it... Veg isn't clean to start with, then cooking with it makes it that much worse. Have you ever done a crackle test to check for water? Where are you getting the veg? Is it hydrogenated oil? What type of oil is it? Peanut? Soy? Canola? There's a lot you need to know, you just can't pour anything in the tank.

If I were you, I'd stop using it. You need to filter down to 2 micron, if you're at 100 micron you're lucky. You WILL wreck the engine if you continue to run the truck the way you are, I've seen it personally.

Not trying to bash on you at all, but you jumped into veg a little too quick, and you need some help. Stop using straight veg, and either make it into bio, or do some serious research before you run veg again.

Old 10-19-2009, 10:14 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 87 Likes on 64 Posts

I agree 100%
I will concur with what has been said about WVO/WMO usage.Many owners do not consider what filtration they need when running this type of fuel.If we are running down to 3 micron of filtration on normal diesel fuel then one would figure that he would need at least that or more with WVO/WMO.I run the 3 micron filters on my FASS since the change over to ULSD fuel a few years ago.At first when the change over happened it created for short filter life as with how harsh the fuel was it cleaned out the sediments of many owners tanks.The last set of filters on my truck I ran 25,000 miles and when we cut them apart they could have gone even longer.I could not imagine what they would look like with WVO/WMO and how short the change intervals would be.

Too me the usage of this old oil stuff is like a ticking time-bomb for your fuel system waiting to go off.Its only a matter of time before you start having injector issues and pump issues and many times the cost of repairs more than outweigh the benefits or figured fuel cost savings.Sure you will save up front on the lowered cost of your diesel fuel purchases,but,will the long term cost for the repairs which will happen negate the fuel cost savings.

IMO,there is no cost benefit calculation which would show the long term usage would outweigh the repair costs to the fuel system.......Andy

Old 10-19-2009, 01:59 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

what about using motor oil?additives be a problem there?
its all about costs with me and probably 9 out of 10 people use it for that reason. READ :THE GRAPES OF WRATH.
if making it from algae is less than pumpstations then i will go that route.

i can take the bashings.My dream is to become self sufficient some day and have my own farm.this is another piece of the puzzle.

are there 2 micron filters i can buy?what about the mesh filter in the bowl?is that a 10micron filtration mesh?
i beleive my mercedes type filters are 5micron,but from what you have all said I need to filter down to 2microns?

Yes you are right.I need to do more research.THanks!

Last edited by will1am; 10-19-2009 at 02:17 PM.
Old 10-19-2009, 02:53 PM
Diesel Bomber

Raycor makes filter bags that are 2 micron for pre-filtering, but you'll need to heat the oil to about 180 to get it through the filter in less than a month. I understand the cost idea... But there is a point of diminishing returns in everything. Saving money on fuel now will result in rebuilding the engine much much sooner, so, where do you expect to save money using veg?

I love the idea of using WVO, but honestly, converting to Bio is way smarter, and I know what I'm talking about here. It greatly increases your efficiency, and still costs a quarter of the pump fuel... Plus its better for the engine, something no SVO/WVO can say.

WMO is alright, but again, it has to be clean. I personally don't like running it in anything more than about a 30:1 ratio. Its not a clean burning fuel, and its certainly not an environmentally safe solution. Sure, its free, but if you want to do things cheaply with a diesel, get a Jetta TDI... These trucks ain't fuel sippers.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

BTW, I can tell you right now that without putting on about $400 in parts at least, running Veg is gonna kill your engine, no matter what blend you run. 50/50 is way to much.

No the fuel screen bowl is not 10 micron, I think its 100, maybe 140. The standard fuel filters are 10, 12, or higher. Some are 40...

Algae is a long, long, way off... So don't even bother trying that. My last job was pressing soy and canola for the oil, there's just no way to break even in a small scale, let alone doing it for personal use.

Last edited by MotorOilMcCall; 10-19-2009 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-19-2009, 05:26 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

where are you getting supplies for Bio?.Even if i get the WVO for free it seems it cost almost a dollar now a days to make a gallon of it.If you get the mix wrong then your injection pump could brake too.

Old 10-19-2009, 05:31 PM
Diesel Bomber

Guess what... bad bio is still better than Veg filtered through t-shirts...

All you need is Lye, get it at a hardware store, or you can buy it online in bulk.

I'm just trying to save your motor bud, stop running veg. For saving $40 a fill up (1/2 a tank is veg you're running, figure to fill up costs $80 now) your gonna wind up with a $5k rebuild in months, not years, months...

Old 10-19-2009, 06:52 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

i have read that you need methonal and lye.Do you wash your biofuel?Have a website that shows how to make biofuel?