12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

painting the bumper and the grill?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 04:47 PM
Administrator

Received 340 Likes on 273 Posts

scotch brite works very well for it then any good paint

Old 10-16-2009, 08:41 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would def scuff the grill and sand the bumpers..yeah it may hold and "lay down" clean for a while but if you want to make it last you should sand it for sure..done plenty of spray can stuff in my garage..and people think i actually sprayed my stuff with a gun..oh and to properly paint on top of chrome..you must remove the chrome plating and sand all the way to the nickle..

Old 10-16-2009, 11:41 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

My suggestion for the grill is to take a drill with a round wire brush thing and take off the fake plating so the paint sticks to the plastic underneath with an adhesion promoter much better and will last longer than the truck probably. Thats what im going to do anyways. I had a place where the chrome wrap bubbled and popped so I took the drill with the wire wheel thing and it took a lot right off. As for the bumpers, you can scuff them up real good and paint them but chrome is very slippery and even the primer won't stick very effectively. Of course I have never tried it like the other guys so I won't say it can't work. But I would sand blast it if you have the means to do so and then clean and paint. I am just going to sand blast and powder coat mine and be done with them. I have a weird perfectionism thing that if I just paint over the chrome I will always know its just painted over and not exactly what it looks like it is. Its a OCD thing on my part . Good luck.

Old 10-18-2009, 12:57 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i used spray in bedliner in a can and did my whole dodge 2500 then wet sanded it looks like flat black but holds up great. i ru it almost 5000 miles a week and with the bugs and tar it was a great investment!