12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

hate automatic

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 07:20 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default hate automatic

I am going to try and sell my truck to buy a 5speed. I love the truck, but hate this automatic, if i cant sell if for what i want, then what would i need to do to put a 5speed in my truck? I know i will need to change the drive shaft, and put a clutch pedal assyembely in, and slave cylinder. But do i need to do anything to the pcm? and do i need to do anytihng to the crankshaft? i want some feedback from people who have done this to there trucks

Old 09-09-2009, 07:25 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 157 Likes on 142 Posts

why do you hate the auto?

Old 09-09-2009, 07:34 PM
Diesel Wrench

I enjoy driving standards, i drove my buddies 5speed 97 cummins and it was so much fun, he only has a 0plate and gove springs, and a bitchen clutch, and the truck made alot more power than mine, and it is just alot of fun to drive. If i want to make more power i am going to have to rebuild my tranmission again, and get another converter. I don't have the money to dump 3000+ for a tranmission that may or may not slip or break after a few months of abuse. And i just love rowing gears:

Old 09-09-2009, 08:00 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Heres some info on the conversion I was reading last night. Auto to Manual conversion notes - A - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum

Old 09-09-2009, 08:29 PM
Diesel Wrench

Thank you bluetj, good information there, i think if i can find a donor truck that would be the best route to go.

Old 09-09-2009, 08:45 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Buy the right auto and you won't have issues. How much do you think this conversion is going to cost? I'm not trying to be an a-hole but make sure the right thing is driving your decision.

Old 09-09-2009, 09:05 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,322 Likes on 1,071 Posts

A conversion is going to be more than 3k.

Old 09-10-2009, 05:44 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 87 Likes on 64 Posts

I don't have the money to dump 3000+ for a tranmission that may or may not slip or break after a few months of abuse.
Well...
Lets see here...
$1700 for that bitchin clutch....
About $850 for the 1 3/8" billet input shaft...
Labor to do the upgrade and install....??????

The bottom line here is this.....
Its really no cheaper to run a 5spd performance clutch in a Cummins truck versus a good built performance Automatic.Not only do you NOT have any billet parts available anymore for the 5 speed trucks,except for the inpout shaft,with New venture gear OUT of business parts quality parts are getting hard to find if you need to rebuild.Back when I broke my tranny in 99 I cringed when I got the bill for my rebuild as we did mine will every billet part inside we could get as I wanted to ensure durability.Looking back now,that bill while it was high,now is considered one of my best expenses as no bilet parts are made for the internals of the NV4500's at all anymore.

BUT..
Heavy duty billet parts are made for the automatics and used everyday by some of the nations best diesel performance transmission shops.They have now shown that durability is now a regular deal with them and they are standing up to the nations best racers and sled pullers demands.Knowing at how efficent some of the built automatics are today a built automatic is the way to go.

Before you make a chioce like this you need a trip down to Scott Hovey's shop in Mass.Have him take you for a ride in one of his trucks with a purpose built automatic.I will assure you that once you do that your buddies stick truck will be long forgotten.....

Old 09-10-2009, 06:52 PM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 367 Likes on 251 Posts

Look at John P..... he beats that trans up and it takes it every bit in stride

Sorry hammer, Just had to throw that in there.... PS talked to Peter today, I'll pm you later

Old 09-10-2009, 07:48 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I conerted mine for just under 1800 found a wrecked donor truck and had a buddy of mine who had the clutch just layin around since he sold his truck it wasn't easy tho you need to buy a new brake lite switch athe slave and master are about 150 for the set 250 for the hd set. You don't really need to up the input shaft or 5th gear right away but it is strongly advised as for the pcm and crank no need to change them the only thing is the trans temp light will come on and stay on you'll also need a new nuetral saftey switch wich is like 20 bucks so it may cost 1 buck or it may cost 10k depends on what ya want

Quick Reply: hate automatic