12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

white smoke under compression

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 11:30 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

check your suction side of the fuel system

Old 07-29-2009, 11:15 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts

white smoke or raw fuel usually occurs from low cylinder temps, hence doing it when its cold. as for going down the hill boost drops off and afc takes over affecting ammount of fuel... hit 4th and ya load the engine again. badly worn injectors could be the cause, improper fuel spray and atomization isnt promoting combustion. hmmm valve seals too... but thatd be b/c of oil, and assuming there is no consumption or a description of bluish haze, i'm leaning torwards a fuel issue/ low cylinder temps. if the engine is worn compression could be low and given its a CI engine... could play havoc. timing is also a possibility, i've heard some people mention that it slips, or isnt set from the factory correctly to start with... afew more details about the truck and engine would be benneficial

Old 07-30-2009, 12:51 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 103 Likes on 99 Posts

i know that is the way with my truck, the loss of compression= loss of cylander temp which causes my white smoke once its warm its gone

Old 07-30-2009, 10:37 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 87 Likes on 64 Posts

a combination between 370 marine injectors, marine head gasket, new engine and style of pistons is why mine does it
WTF??????.....

i know that is the way with my truck, the loss of compression= loss of cylander temp which causes my white smoke once its warm its gone
Um......NO....

I got it.....
Its your super secret pistons that no one else has that causes it....

I only wonder how much more bullshizz the powers here are going to let you spew.Talk about a disinformation clinic,you are the master of that.BTW,if you have white smoke,you have issues and its cause is not related to what you are claiming.

White smoke is one of two issues....
Retarded timing or a compromised fuel system that allows air into it.Both instances will clear up as the motor warms and are most noticable when the truck is cold.

Last edited by Hammer; 07-30-2009 at 07:04 PM.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:14 PM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 367 Likes on 251 Posts

Unless it's oil smoke, but if it's fuel it's about got to be pump timing.....I was wondering on this converstation and stayed out of it but this is going a bit far guys. I'm with hammer on this...If you lost enough compression to cause an incomplete burn , you would be on here asking why is my truck missing...why is it overheating? When coming off the throttle I would want to lean on the timing side if its fuel smoke. If it's popping and cracking under full throttle It could be air in the fuel system or timing as well. We're sure its a fuel smoke and not oil smoke right? Burning any oil? Coolant Temps? If it's oil smoke a valve stem seal is a long shot, Turbo.....

But guys....Compression?

Old 07-30-2009, 06:24 PM
Diesel Bomber

i wasnt sure of the mileage, i'm not spewing bs... just throwing out possibilities for what info was given; figured someone would throw their idea in and kick afew of the as you say it "long shots" out of the equation. both my cummins and the parents have a little bit of white smoke at a COLD idle... not going down the road; i do understand the loss of compression to that extent being rediculus. all of my information was based on idle conditions, not trying to give anyone the wrong info, just a base for someone to throw out and build on. sorry for any troubles

Old 07-31-2009, 01:18 AM
Diesel Bomber

Originally Posted by Hammer
WTF??????.....

Um......NO....

I got it.....
Its your super secret pistons that no one else has that causes it....

I only wonder how much more bullshizz the powers here are going to let you spew.Talk about a disinformation clinic,you are the master of that.BTW,if you have white smoke,you have issues and its cause is not related to what you are claiming.

White smoke is one of two issues....
Retarded timing or a compromised fuel system that allows air into it.Both instances will clear up as the motor warms and are most noticable when the truck is cold.
its a proven fact that a loss of compression will cuase less fuel being burned, hence white smoke. thats why my #3 was running 80-100* colder after rebuild, rings didnt seat. which were i come from is A LOSS OF COMPRESSION

Old 07-31-2009, 11:35 AM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

black smoke : too much fuel, extra fuel that is not burnt.

blue smoke: oil

white smoke: happens at start up because not enough heat to burn all the fuel, bad glow plugs, or bad gpc and hammer was spot on.

if you have low compression then the engine would lug, and it would also be black mixed with white let call that color gray( joke)

94cummins 12v i would have your truck looked at, if it still is smoking white, i would belive you still have a problem somewhere, new injectors no mater what size it will smoke black, unless you are using nitrous then it would be like a white or the gray smoke, the head gasket for a marine and regular 6bt engine is only the material in the silicon no size difference, and if you are using a marine piston that is only a bigger bowl different compression ration

Last edited by cummins_guy; 07-31-2009 at 12:02 PM.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:28 PM
Diesel Bomber

idk, i'm backing out of this one... i'm withdrawing my .02

Old 08-01-2009, 12:12 AM
Diesel Bomber

Originally Posted by cummins_guy
black smoke : too much fuel, extra fuel that is not burnt.

blue smoke: oil

white smoke: happens at start up because not enough heat to burn all the fuel, bad glow plugs, or bad gpc and hammer was spot on.

if you have low compression then the engine would lug, and it would also be black mixed with white let call that color gray( joke)

94cummins 12v i would have your truck looked at, if it still is smoking white, i would belive you still have a problem somewhere, new injectors no mater what size it will smoke black, unless you are using nitrous then it would be like a white or the gray smoke, the head gasket for a marine and regular 6bt engine is only the material in the silicon no size difference, and if you are using a marine piston that is only a bigger bowl different compression ration
oh no it doesnt do it anymore since i replaced the rings in the 3rd piston. i was stating my case it what it was doing for me, i know there is a logger up hear that all he did was add a marine gasket to his 89 6bt and it smokes white now, he did the leakdown and compression test and it did loose some compression compaired to the stock gasket

Quick Reply: white smoke under compression