12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

First diesel newb with lots of questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 11:42 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jaybuller
your lift pump should be like mine and mechanical. i would go back with a stock one it it were me.
Whats wrong with the pump the truck has now? Call Cummins and get one from them, its a pretty straight forward swap. They have made some "improvements" to the lift pump's design which makes the primer button significantly larger. This larger bulb makes it easier to prime the filter but it makes it a PITA to get a Fleetgaurd filter on because of how long the filter's body is. Heck, I don't know if it's even possible. Cummins owns Fleetguard so you can get them from any Cummins place and most heavy truck and equipment places should have them.

Old 07-17-2009, 11:44 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, I paid about 9K (after interest), back in '00 or something; with 32,000 miles, (currently has about 70,000). A '94 2500, 5sp manual, Power windows, power seat, power mirrors, single cab 2wd; complete with that overhead compass/temp console thing (which quit working about 6 months ago, i might add.) and even came with one off those roller lock covers for the long bed... (pretty cool looking....too.)

And them gremlins have done found me.... Big Time!!!!

Started with minor stuff, but things are getting expensive, now, and very inconvenient. Owned the truck for about 9 years, now. And was a trouble free until recently....

--------------

First event was a chain reaction thing. December before last,
Hidden Info

----------------------

So, anyway. Good luck with yours with triple the mileage. Mine has turned into a total nightmare for the last 2 years. At least the body is rustfree and the interior is rattle free...and the clear coat isn't pealing off anywhere. At least I'm still okay in those departments.

The clincher is... I don't even push it hard.... I always keep the black smoke to a minimum. Maybe, I should start driving like a teenager again? Maybe, it only respects abuse?

Last edited by Threesixty; 07-17-2009 at 11:51 PM.
Old 07-18-2009, 12:14 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Welcome to the site!

Old 07-18-2009, 04:11 AM
Super Moderator

Received 332 Likes on 316 Posts
Old 07-20-2009, 07:56 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Old 07-20-2009, 09:12 AM
Site Sponsor - Black Cloud Diesel Performance
Received 146 Likes on 133 Posts

Howdy! Welcome to Diesel Bombers! You're Going to Like it Here!

Old 07-20-2009, 02:07 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's actually nothing wrong with the lift pump right now, at least as far as I can tell. I want to do preventative maintenance to make sure small problems don't turn into larger ones. The truck likes to crank for 1 or 2 seconds before starting so I was figuring it's some sort of fuel issue. My buddies 96 just cranks right up you barely have time to notice from when you turn the key. So I'm looking at the fuel system, and from what I can tell besides the injectors the lift is the most expensive to replace correct? I figure I can isolate the larger pieces, get them replaced, and if the problem persists start piddling with the smaller crap.
I dunno what do you guys think? Should I go all in for a lift and fuel filter or take it to someone who really knows their stuff? There's a diesel shop 2 miles from my house with a good rep.

Thanks for the warm welcome, good bunch of guys here!

Old 07-20-2009, 02:30 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i really wouldn't worry the starting,every 12 valve i've seen you had to crank them over quite a bit.your buddy's is an exception,especially when you start dumpin the fuel to them.i always just put a little pressure on the pedal when i crank mine,not enought to move it down,when it starts it'll drop just a little,then let off.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

and i saw that yours is a 1989 model.that will make a difference on the cranking.they have a different injector pump.big difference.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

ok i'm sorry,it says "My Diesel:1989 5.9L Turbo but i just went to the first post and saw that it is definatly aint no '89!

Last edited by BAD ASS RAM; 07-20-2009 at 02:30 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-20-2009, 03:00 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

haha ya I jumped the gun, that was the truck I was going to buy, and ended up with a much better 95 2nd gen. I'll change that right now.

That makes me feel much better about the starting "issue" I guess it's really not an issue at all. So is an airdog or FASS pump good if you're bombing your truck only? I'm leaving mine pretty much stock besides smaller stuff like my K&N filter and what not. So like previously suggested should I stick with an updated stock lift pump should I decide to change it out?

Old 07-20-2009, 03:09 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

yeah the stock lift pump will work fine for what you want to do at the moment. i went to an air dog because my lft pump was on the way out i was dong a full rebuild and i wanted to have plenty of fuel for when i get it to where i want it. (its not even close to being there now)

Quick Reply: First diesel newb with lots of questions