12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

First diesel newb with lots of questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 05:01 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First diesel newb with lots of questions

Hi guys, I just got my first diesel. 1995 12V 2500 3/4 ton 4x4 230k. I can't believe how awesome these trucks are. I've wanted a diesel since I was 10 years old and I finally got exactly what I wanted. I paid 3900.00 for the truck, knowing that it had a tranny issue. When in first the gear sticks unless you let off the accelerator and wait for it to shift down then acts fine and is smooth as silk from 2nd gear on. I know that it is going to require some transmission work, but what am I looking at here? 1 grand 2 grand....anyone have a ballpark estimate?

Is there any sort of tutorial for changing the fuel filter? Ive never done it before, but I've located where it's at and my god it looks impossible to get to. Any advice on how to change that easily would be appreciated.

I don't want to bomb this truck as it is my first and only vehicle at this moment so I'm concentrated souly on replacing what needs to be replaced and catching up on routine maintenance. What should I look at on the truck first when it comes to parts that require repair or replacement at 200k? My truck is at 232k. I want to make sure everything is in good working order so I'm not left on the road with a bigger problem than if I had changed a simple part.

Does anyone know a good diesel mechanic in the Mesa, Az area?

My truck takes R12 and needs a recharge, how much approximately would this cost?

Well that's about it for now im sure there's a whole slew of stupid questions I'll have in the coming days, here's some pics of my new baby:

Name:  IMG_3345.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  85.6 KB

Name:  IMG_3347.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  77.9 KB

Name:  IMG_3346.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  55.7 KB

Old 07-13-2009, 11:04 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

welcome there is plenty you can do. can change all the fluids and filters check all the breaks and you dont have to bomb it hard core but you can get a air intake or straight pipe it and stuff like that just to help with mpg and just run better period. if you find a good diesel mech down there let me no bc im up in camp verde and there is like one diesel guy up here and he is a douch. when you you do get the bomber bug with its just a matter of time there is stuff you can do for free and get some good power out of it with your fuel plate star wheel waste gate its fun. before you start doin any thing get some gauges a boost and pyro

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

forgot to say you got that for a steal!!! 3900 even with the tranni fix

Last edited by bowtech; 07-13-2009 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-13-2009, 11:17 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

ha i got mine for 3100 in delaware and it has 211k and no issues

i had to put a radiator, water pump, and u joint and it rides better than my parents 06 lincoln and its got an exhaust and lift but 3900 is still amazing

and mines only a 2500 though

Old 07-13-2009, 11:33 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts

yeh i got the same truck as you... but only got mine for 1,500... n thats no joke.. it runs awsome and no problems... nock on wood... but about the fuel filter..
1) drain water from filter (theres a ring on the WIF that you have to pull up towards the sky)
2)take the drain hose off of the WIF sensor (water in fuel).... its the black thing screwed on to the bottom of the filter... also unhook the electrical line connected to the WIF
3)unscrew the WIF sensor
4) take the filter off (care full its still full of fuel)
5) put new filter on
6) put WIF back on bottom of filter
7) pump the black primer button below the WIF sensor
8) TRY and start it... it might take a while...
it would prob be easier with pics... i went to advanced auto parts n got a manual for my truck... cause the previous owner lost it
that will give you good pics and very good instructions... just make sure you get a good on

oh and my truck only has 170,000 on it to

oh i forgot.. yeh its kinda hard to get to... but it can be done... you NEED to get a filter/ hose clamp... its to tight to take off with just your hands...

Last edited by wisconsin redneck; 07-13-2009 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-13-2009, 12:40 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yea the fuel filter is a pita but it is possible but you do need to be like mr gadget go go gadget arm

Old 07-13-2009, 12:44 PM
Diesel Fan

haha well im tall and skinny so maybe that'll be to my benefit for once. Thanks for the instructions wisconsin, I'll give her a shot here in the next couple days and see what I can do.

Old 07-15-2009, 01:27 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 07-16-2009, 12:35 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome man, the guys here will help you out big time .

Like Bowtech said, change all the fluids first and make sure you get a good fuel filter, Fleetguard if you can find it. Make sure you use the Mopar additive for the limited slip if you have one, not the parts house stuff. And be SUPER careful with the WIF sensor when you take it out, the wires coming out of that little piece of plastic are way too fragile .

Enjoy the new truck.

Old 07-17-2009, 01:59 PM
Diesel Fan

Thanks for all the advice guys, still haven't got the time to swtich out the fuel filter. Where can I find a fleetguard filter? I want to give this truck the best of the best in maintenance....Also which would you choose when switching out the lift pump, FASS or Airdog? Do I need anything special for either of those?

Old 07-17-2009, 04:29 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

your lift pump should be like mine and mechanical. i would go back with a stock one it it were me.

Quick Reply: First diesel newb with lots of questions