12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

I'm wanting to convert my 95 with a 47rh to a nv4500

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 04:55 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default I'm wanting to convert my 95 with a 47rh to a nv4500

I'm wanting to convert my truck to a nv4500. I know if my 47rh is built right its indestructable but I want the 5speed. Is it easy enough to do in a night or should I take my rig to a shop. I've got everything but the flywheel and clutch to do the conversion just waiting on the 1500 bucks to get the one I want

Last edited by davo79; 07-05-2009 at 05:01 AM. Reason: miss typed
Old 07-05-2009, 12:04 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 279 Likes on 256 Posts

its not that hard i helped my friend a few times when he was switching his...you might want to have the tranny looked at to make sure the bearings and synchros are still in good shape and make sure you use the right fluid in there or your synchros will be done in a few miles

Old 07-05-2009, 01:23 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 87 Likes on 64 Posts

Is it easy to do you ask????

Well that depends on how many of the little hard parts you have to make the swap go easy or not.Do not forget that with this swap you need to ensure that your transfer case will work,that you have the proper transmission mount and the correct front driveshaft.If you have the pedal assembly and the needed slave cylinder assembly would also be a help.

Flywheel is not a big deal as depending on what clutch unit you buy it may come with it.Another thing people often over look is the manual transmission input shaft to go along with your clutch selection.If you want strength and durability then you will need to upgrade that to the larger 1 3/8" shaft and they alone can cost almost a grand.

I see many guys who do this and I often wonder why to myself.When I started building my truck performance automatic parts were few and far between and the stick was the only way to handle power.Nowadays with all the good killer automatics available I would not even consider a swap like this.Automatics are even now beginning to win regularly on sled tracks and are showing they are more durable.

If you factor the cost of all the hard parts and labor in the swap in the end you will be close to what a built automatic is.When you think about it then throw in the fact that with the stick you will be getting your azz handed to you at each stop light or drag strip event and quite possibly your local sled track.Those facts alone would make me not do it but its your truck and your wallet.Another thing to think about is that there are no available billet parts at all for a 5 spd truck and IF you do find some you will pay a kings ransom for them.

I know if I had known back when I bought my truck in early 99 that the automatics would be shining like they are now I would have bought one instead of my stick.The performance of todays automatics are the reason mine will be swapped to one very soon.....Andy

Old 07-05-2009, 01:48 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,322 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Another thing to consider - manual parts (both NV 4500 and NV 5600) are going to become more and more scarce since New Venture is no longer in business. Stock up on our bits and pieces now.

Old 07-05-2009, 03:01 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 79 Likes on 66 Posts

x2 on that, 4500 parts are becoming a real bitch to find.

you need pedals and hydraulics, also you'll need a 29 spline 241 or 271 (?) which is specific to a cummins with a 5 (or 6) speed, no way to get around it. check your bearings before you install it. then fill 'er up with chrysler or gm 4500 fluid. ams also makes fluid for it. Just know its gonna run you about $15 a quart.
It will nickel and dime you quite a bit, but if you get a deal on a T case it cuts a lot of expense.

I'd keep the auto though. You gonna sell it?

Old 07-05-2009, 11:49 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

I bought a rolled truck minus the engine and clutch for a grand its got the trans tcase dana 80 driveshaft a front dana 60 it has everything but the clutch and the motor I couldn't pass it up for 1000 bucks so ill have extra parts if I need them also my only concern is the time it will take and if its really worth the trouble I can't really afford a 4500 dollar built 47rh for my truck right now times are too tough

Old 07-06-2009, 08:12 AM
Bombardier
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I am interested in the RH if you would like to sell it. That will get you on your way to the manual

Old 07-06-2009, 03:48 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 87 Likes on 64 Posts

Well...
Think about it this way then too...
A good quality double disc clutch to handle power will set you back about $1800 and the needed upgraded input shaft is another $850.Toss in the $1000 that you spent already and your already well over half way to your $4500 and you haven't even begun your swap yet.That also does not allow for any parts that may need repaired in the used NV4500.

Again,its your truck and your choice but you needed to hear that building a stick truck is almost as expensive as a automatic and nowadays there is really no cost saving factor.As Dr.Evil so eloquently said above also,parts for the NV4500/5600's are really getting hard to find and no one makes billet parts for them at all anymore.For the money I spent back then in 99-00 building my stick transmission with billet parts I could build two automatics now......Andy

Last edited by Hammer; 07-06-2009 at 03:50 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-06-2009, 06:08 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

I want the control of the stick over auto and I had the trans checked out this morning and it checked out ok just had a seal leaking I'm not goin for a 1500 hp truck. It wouls be nice I'm just looking for some power and durability