12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

Weirdness

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 09:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weirdness

So my alternator stopped charging last week and I finally got around to trying to diagnose it yesterday. The green field wire on back of the alternator had ~5 volts. The white with blue stripe one had 12 v. I took off the wires from back of the alternator and put 12 volts to the field for a second just to check output. When I did that it gave me about >20 volts the first couple of times then only ~9v. Could I have burnt out the rectifiers with that brief surge?

Anyway,When I reapplied the harness terminals, I noticed that they would spark quite a bit when I would bump them against the two small studs. They then stopped sparking at all. Now both the green and white/blue field wires read 12v to ground with the volt meter but have almost no current to cause a spark if I short them to the + battery terminal.

My main problem now is that my transmission won't shift into 3rd or lockup. I think that it stays in 2nd.

Codes are
P0743 Torque converter clutch solenoid circuit electrical (will clear but comes back after a few minutes)

P0753 shift solenoid A electrical (clears only momentarily)

P1389 no ASD relay output at pcm? (cleared with scanner)

P1492 battery temperature sensor input voltage high (was able to clear out with scanner)

P1765 switched battery (will clear only momentarily) a short somewhere?

What's up? Do I need a new computer? Being broke sucks.

Last edited by nursecosmo; 05-17-2009 at 07:32 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 05-16-2009, 10:49 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 76 Likes on 73 Posts

as i read the topic i thought this thread was about Begle...