12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

Blown Head Gaskets

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 11:24 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ya but you have injectors, i'm sure that gives more boost.. idk maybe not

Old 03-30-2009, 11:36 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ya, i dunno, i know more fuel will get it spooling quicker. i know if your waste gate is un-hooked you better get a gauge fast. i would hook it back up anyway, your not dpoing your turbo any good over 35psi its not efficent and can explode ofter 40psi from over spinning. "WILL EXPLODE" plus most stock head gaskets blow after constant 35psi 35 and below is were you want to be

Old 03-30-2009, 11:39 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

ya i know but i was told that plugging it would increase turbo psi but i noticed no difference.. i just havent taken the time to put it back on yet

Old 03-30-2009, 11:40 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well when I got the truck it had 370's or at least i think so im almost positive they were, because I didnt really notice that much of a difference in top end power compaired to the 90's. The 90's just had smoother power and a little more on top. I actually still have them sitting in the box my 90 ddp's came in, I didnt like them because they hazed to much at idle but I read somewhere on here to help them put a thinner washer on i guess stock washer thickness is .020, the guy said he used a .010 washer. If your interested in them i could sell them to you for cheap whatever you think is reasonable if not thats cool to. They do need to be cleaned up a little bit though as they have a little bit of carbon build up on them, but I dont really see how that would affect how they run.

Old 03-30-2009, 11:44 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

ya that sounds like a great buy.. um only problem is that i got fronted the last $500 to put into my truck and i've only payed back $400 so i dont have any extra cash right now.. but email me at djwhonda92@hotmail.com so we can talk about it cuz i'm in dire need of more power. and i should have some side jobs coming up so i'll have money soon

Old 03-30-2009, 11:51 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Alright, that sounds good. I dont want you to burn up your tranny after i sell these to you, but I was told the reason they also hazed so much is i need more timing. I would suggest running 15-17* of timing I wouldn't suggest going anymore than that though just because with a stock turbo,stock head bolts, and stock head gasket. The cylinder pressures get to high if your pushing 35psi of boost and you really do run the risk of blowing a head gasket. Personally I would run 15* until you get head studs and o-rings or a different turbo. Either way they are both expensive.

Old 03-31-2009, 08:56 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

ok well i sent you an email so reply back when u can... thanks

Old 03-31-2009, 12:13 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you have milky oil kinda light brown or whitish color means coolant is gettin it there good sign of a blown head gasket

Old 03-31-2009, 01:32 PM
Diesel Fan

Sounds to me like blow by. Normally the blow by should go out your blow by tube but if you take the filler cap off with the engine running, you would see the blow by there because the blow by is just taking the path of least resistance. (Unless it's bad enough that it's forcing your dip stick out while you're driving) I wouldn't be worried about a head gasket unless you're seeing oil in the coolant, coolant in the oil, water/steam out the tail pipe or maybe even coolant leaking around the head.
I've got a 97 2500 with the 12 valve Cummins. Mine has a bad head gasket. It started getting a little oil in the water, but no obvious signs of water in the oil. Even with the bad head gasket it sounds fine if you start it and it has never over heated. I have it parked right now until I can get it fixed.
In the beginning, I was not convinced that it was a head gasket, In my experience, when you have water in your oil or oil in your water, it's always been a sort of milky, coffee creamer color, but in this case, it stayed black and floated on top of the coolant, most noticeably in the overflow bucket. I took the truck down and had the coolant system flushed and sure enough, within a couple of days the oil was back. It wasn't until then that I found a tiny spot of coolant on the front of the head, nothing major, just a little spot about the diameter of a quarter. So the rambling wreck from Lubbock Tech is parked until I get the cash to fix it.

Last edited by Brother Hogg; 03-31-2009 at 01:43 PM. Reason: Better info
Old 03-31-2009, 03:53 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I am scared that mine might blow now that i have the 100 plate, it will boos right up 2 40psi so i have to set the plate back a bit.....too much fuel that stock turbo spools up like nothing now

Quick Reply: Blown Head Gaskets