12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

STARTED UP RAN FOR sec now wont start during cranking

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 04:11 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default o-0pened fuel line.......

i opened a feul line off the injector pump(the farthest one away from firewall)and another pair of eyes saw no fuel coming out.also saw that the shutoff selnoid was lifting up
the pre filter screen and bowl is in the fuel heater?the lift pump is also the transfer pump?
how can i check that is working?

Old 03-04-2009, 04:37 PM
FormerVendor
Received 136 Likes on 121 Posts

lps (lift pumps) sorry.

the pre screen is in a bowl on the bottom of the lp. lokk under the truck on the front side of the starter. you should see a nut I think its a 19mm its about 6" in front and about 6" above the starter.

As for the shut off you could use wire to hold it up but remember you would have to vut the wire to turn it off.

To put a fp gauge on it drill and tap the banjo bolt that goes into the side of the injection pump. I know someone that has some pics of this maybe he will chime in....

As for no fuel at the stick... I have no idea maybe a bad air leak or a dead lp??? Theres not any fuel on the ground right?

Old 03-07-2009, 09:38 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

i am sure the shut off valve off selenoid is working..i pushed it up and it stayed up with ignition turned on...when i press the primer button it seem to leak from that area near the block where the transfer pump is held to the block/head?i found a lot of grit/dirt around the pre screen.i am thinking some junk got in there....

filled fuel bowl after cleaning it and the screen....pushed primer with fuel filter off and saw no fuel come out of the fuel filter housing,tried cranking it over and for a few seconds and still no fuel coming out of the housing....is thier an electric fuel pump on these 12valves?

Last edited by will1am; 03-07-2009 at 04:18 PM.
Old 03-07-2009, 08:53 PM
Super Moderator

Received 332 Likes on 316 Posts

Nope,the fuel pump on the 12v's is mechanical,and not electric.I'm still thinking your lift pump took a dump,because you said it's not pushing fuel out the fuel lines or filter housing when the filter is removed.

Old 03-08-2009, 01:22 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

i think the lift pump did go out...i am going to do one final test or two on the lift pump.
If i do replace the LIFT PUMP WILL I NEED TO DRAIN THE MOTOR OIL?the lever behind the pump rides on the cam? and it is in the block?or can i just take it out with no worries of motor oil spillage?could there be crud/dirt deposits in the fuel heater part?there was a lot of crud on the screen in the feul bowl.

Old 03-08-2009, 11:45 PM
Super Moderator

No,you don't need to drain the oil out of the engine.The lever that rides the cam is part of the lift pump.You don't have to worry much about oil spilling when removing the lift pump.I'm thinking you may have crud/dirt deposits in the fuel heater because you said you had crud in the screen of the fuel bowl.Another thing to think about is trying to determine where the crud got into your fuel heater and filter.Or how long has it been since the screen was replaced or cleaned.Let me know how things turn out.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:04 AM
Site Mascot
Received 940 Likes on 701 Posts

drop yer tank and clean it out..............you will be shocked when you see how much crap is in there

Old 03-09-2009, 08:57 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

I'm thinking you may have crud/dirt deposits in the fuel heater because you said you had crud in the screen of the fuel bowl.
I cleaned out the feul bowl and screen.there was some scale and rust in there...it seemed a bit to easy to take it off.i would like to replace the seal.

Another thing to think about is trying to determine where the crud got into your fuel heater and filter.i think it was loose...and dirt and crud were getting in there....i have some injectors leaking along with a steering leaking and dirt and crud are adhering to areas of the engine easily
Let me know how things turn out.[/QUOTE] i vaccumed out some feul from the the heater area to see if my tank was clogged and i was able to pump out a lot so i moved on to the lift pump....i loaded feul into the filter and then attached a line to the lp and primed about 30 times with bleed screw open and success...the feul came out.....cranked truck over for a bout 10seconds and then it started up....after shutting off engine,i hooked up the supply line back to the feul heater and cranked over and in less than 2 sec cranked over....i stopped and started it a few times after that and once more after sitting for about two hours and it started up in about the same time.....the real test will be tommorow when i cold start it.

i would like to replace all the rubber feul supply lines and possibly my lp...265k!!!i plan on traveling 4-600 miles trips in this thing soon.i want it reliable

anybody have the part numbers for the
1.feul bowl seal
2.rubber supply line that goes to heater line...its near the firewall..about 1/2 foot long
3.rubber line from heater to lift pump

Old 03-10-2009, 05:06 AM
Super Moderator

Glad to hear your truck started up.