12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

47re tv cable concern.

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 12:03 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default 47re tv cable concern.

heres the problem, my trans shifts real early all the time. 1-2 shift less than 5mph. 2-3 shift less than 15mph. it does change or get better with throttle input but always shifts early. i have eliminated gov pressure transducer and sensor. i have adjusted tv numerous times the right way and wrong. i have tried bending brackets etc.. i have tried moving the ip linkage and pivot to try to relate to tv cable movement but i have not found the happy spot yet. basically if i set tv cable tight it will auto adjust itself back when i go wot. i know this is hard to explain without writing a book but has anyone else had a similar prob.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

with all the resources no response??? has anyone had any problems at all trying to get a tv cable adjusted to their satisfaction. maybe i am too picky but my trans shifts way too early. i think this might be the demise of my trans if i cant fix. any help

Last edited by jnicewan; 01-06-2009 at 12:03 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-07-2009, 09:29 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

mine does the same thing, my trans is on its way out so i just figured thats what it was...mine also doesnt down shift either like when you slow down but not slow enough to have it automatically downshift then try to go again and all it does is slip...you have to give it about 1/3 throttle for it to downshift from 3rd to second, so i do it manually...

i wish i could help ya man, but im at a loss myself.

Old 01-07-2009, 04:34 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Try the TPS. There's a writeup somewhere on how to do it. Basically, you eliminate the TPS in favor of a rheostat on the dash that you can manually set the shift points. Takes about 30 minutes and $20 to do. If my pressure solenoid was working properly, I would be able to adjust my shift points. OD is the only one I can adjust right now.

Old 01-07-2009, 05:00 PM
Bombardier
Received 607 Likes on 502 Posts

the corret position for the tv cable is with the accelerator pedal in the wot position the tv lever should be pulled all the way it will go. make sure the lever has no more play.

is this a stock tranny? when was the last time the fluid and filter was changed?

Old 01-07-2009, 11:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a bd trans and torque converter and it has never shifted right. i've adjusted the tv cable. messed with the presures on the valve body. still can't figure it out. my brother has the same tranny in his 01 24 valve and his shifts into 3rd at like 35mph and it rippes. i shift into 3rd around 18 20 mph.

Old 01-08-2009, 05:04 AM
Diesel Fan

The TV cable adjusts your pressure and a little bit of the shift timing. The TPS is what controls the major part. You guys are checking that, aren't you? Don't just go and assume the TV cable is the miracle cure to your crappy shifting.

Old 01-08-2009, 03:58 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

with what whitesmokey said, what he might have is a spring wrong in the valve body. my dad has a DTT trans and it had a stacked shift it would go 1-2 then like 1 second afterwards it would do the 2-3 shift, we drove from PA to British columbia and thats all that was wrong with it, no trans shop around here would even touch it becuase it was a performance transmission. and its been fine for 7+ years now...

im gonna do some checkin with my truck, see what i can do with the TPS and TV cable...mine has just had a fluid and filter change, and 2 bottles of lucas transmission fix..the lucas didnt change a thing...

Old 01-08-2009, 07:04 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

i thought tp only influenced 3-4 4-3 and lock up??? and 1st through 3rd are controlled by gov and tv . but i did check tp and it operates properly and adjusted correct. my trans has bd valve body and tc. fluid level and condition is perfect. it sounds like i am finding a few others that have the same complaint and maybe the same problem.

Old 01-08-2009, 07:42 PM
Diesel Fan

It's a new one on me, if they are. Is the transmission under warranty still? If it is, I wouldn't touch a thing until you get ahold of them. If it's not, call them anyways. They may give you some advice as to start, or even fix the problem.

Old 01-08-2009, 09:27 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

only owned this truck for 2 months but previous owner gave me extensive repair info and all reciepts to prove it. the trans was rebuilt by someplace i have never heard of and it included a bd valve body and tc but almost 4yrs 25k ago. also has something from bd that attaches externally to the tv that pulls on tv to increase line pressure when the convertor locks. this device is working and also has nothing to do with the operation of factory tv cable.

Quick Reply: 47re tv cable concern.