12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

Starter click no crank

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2020, 08:03 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter click no crank

Hey everybody.
Got an issue here that’s had me stumped for a good long time now. Problem seems to come and go but never entirely disappears. So the issue is, I keep getting a solenoid/relay click on the starter but it refuses to crank. Swap the starter, good for a bit then it happens again. Won’t do it for awhile and then it’ll randomly happen again. New starter so on and so forth. Happened yesterday, got a new starter and now it’s continuing to happen right away even with the new one. Gut tells me these starters I’m getting are all just garbage but maybe I’m missing something here and hopefully one of you 12 valve gurus will chime in and shed some light. Thanks.

Old 09-08-2020, 01:50 PM
Diesel Fan
Default Could really use some help here guys.

Nobody out there have any idea on a possible issue?

Old 09-17-2020, 11:01 AM
Diesel Fan

Wow!!! Not one single person out of thousands have any thoughts here? Truck decided not to start at all this morning, now I’m stranded. Just the click click click, no turn over.

Old 11-30-2020, 10:57 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you checked the connections at the battery and the ground wires?

Old 11-30-2020, 11:19 PM
Diesel Fan

Yes, all new 2/0 power cables and grounds. All new grounds chassis to engine, engine to body, body to chassis etc. just today I installed a brand new straight from Cummins OEM starter and still the same thing. Installed new ignition switch awhile back but I’m starting to suspect that’s where the problem lies. Can’t trust any of this aftermarket garbage anymore, it’s ridiculous. If that’s not the issue then I’m just completely lost, can’t make sense of this and it’s driving me crazy. Thanks for the help though man, at least someone finally chimed in and tried to help.

Old 12-01-2020, 07:14 AM
Diesel Fan
Default 1st check amperage; 2nd voltage; 3rd to solenoid then to the starter.

Test the solenoid on the starter,. If it is good check out your batteries and wiring for proper voltage and amperage.
Originally Posted by Fievalfon
Hey everybody.
Got an issue here that’s had me stumped for a good long time now. Problem seems to come and go but never entirely disappears. So the issue is, I keep getting a solenoid/relay click on the starter but it refuses to crank. Swap the starter, good for a bit then it happens again. Won’t do it for awhile and then it’ll randomly happen again. New starter so on and so forth. Happened yesterday, got a new starter and now it’s continuing to happen right away even with the new one. Gut tells me these starters I’m getting are all just garbage but maybe I’m missing something here and hopefully one of you 12 valve gurus will chime in and shed some light. Thanks.
Check flywheel damage and alignment.

Last edited by WILDKING; 12-01-2020 at 07:39 AM. Reason: Check your flywheel for missing and damaged teeth and alignment.
Old 12-07-2020, 06:20 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are sure the solenoid on the starter is making the clicking sound? I know it would be distinct, but there is a relay that feeds the power to the pull in winding on the starter. Could you be hearing the relay click? Have you tried to crank over the engine by putting a jumper wire from the battery to the pull in wire that is at the relay? You would be putting battery power to the pull in winding on the starter solenoid. The starter should engage. A flywheel issue as stated before can cause this issue. If pinion gear does not fully mesh , the contacts to the starter motor will not connect. No connection, no turning of starter.