12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

Turbo and Boost Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2016, 01:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo and Boost Problems

So I currently have a h1c turbo on my 12v 2nd gen, I didn't put it on there, it was there when i bought the truck. I am assuming it has been built because it has no wastegate, no oil return line but was pushing 35psi. The other day it just quit spooling up to 35 and only gets to 20psi now. The problem with this is it has always (since i bought it) had a turbo bark when accelerating. Now i know what you're going to say (you mean letting off throttle at high rpm, no i mean when accelerating at low rpm in 4th and 5th. It would skip on boost gauge until I hit a little over 1500 rpm then it would smooth out and boost up to where you wanted based on throttle position. When I noticed that it wasn't building boost i wasn't even pushing it hard. I just noticed there wasn't the response there used to be. So far I've checked the air filter, all the rubber boots for boost line and nothing has made the difference. I see no holes in anything or loose lines. Question being, is it possible that the turbo pretty much ate it?
I've no idea how long the turbo has been on the truck either. Currently truck has 360k ish miles.

P.s checked the turbo shaft and the bearings seem to be good and no wobble.

Old 04-03-2016, 03:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright, I solved my problem and I feel for others sake I should share what I found. Maybe it will help someone in the future. I pressurized my intercooler, lines coming out and going in. I couldn't find pvc the right size for the boot so I found a old fire extinguisher (3lb or so) cut it in 2 pieces near the end and stuffed it into boot. Threaded air coupling end in the bottom of it and pumped it up. No leaks in the intercooler, so I pumped up the intake. Also no leaks. While looking and listening for leak I noticed something shiny under the AFC. It was my fuel shut off solenoid end. Apparently the pin came out of the shaft and it came out of the eye for the solenoid. The fuel "switch" i guess is what you'd call it, pinned itself under the solenoid arm allowing the truck to crank, run and shut off however it wasn't enough fuel to properly spool turbo when WOT. Put the arm back in the eye and inserted keeper. She's back to normal.
Hope this helps someone in the future.