12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

P7100 star wheel adjusted with no change?

Old 12-03-2014, 04:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default P7100 star wheel adjusted with no change?

hey guys I'm new to the forum but have owned my truck for just over a year
when i purchased my trans was beginning to go so i never messed with anything in hope or running as long as i could. well now I've had the trans rebuilt (at a reputable shop) I'm ready to make power. i started with my star-wheel. hoping to find a power increase and a little bit of smoke, however i saw what seems like no change. i understand that the major increases come with the fuel plate adjustment but i did expect at least a little improvement. I'm curious if this is a sign that something else needs to be looked at. the reason i stopped with the star-wheel was time. my p-pump is a virgin and still has an un-messed with tamper proof screw and i didn't have time that do to tamper with it that day. please i know that there is probably some page somewhere that has this information and if so please link me in
thanks guys

Old 12-03-2014, 08:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

on my truck i put the starwheel full forward and it didnt change anything, and i ran the torque screw almost all the way in too and it did make some low end smoke and more low end power with the smoke screw... but if you really want more power. move your fuel plate and afc housing forward. i dont have gauges so i just moved mine half forward today and there is a huge increase in power. especially on the freeway, now i can lay into it and the truck takes off. im going to wait till i get gauges and put a #10 fuel plate in. good luck! and i would run some stanadyne through, cleans your injectors out pretty good.

Old 12-04-2014, 07:47 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes that's likely to be my next performance move however after digging through some other forums and trying diagnose a hard to start in the morning issue i feel like i may have an air leak somewhere in my fuel system. could that contribute to my lack of gain from adjusting the star wheel? it loses prime overnight and runs extremely rough until i let her sit about 3 to 5 minutes. but will start fine if its run that day. I'm looking into replacing all the fuel lines with rubber but not sure what the cost and how labor intensive that will be

Old 12-04-2014, 09:07 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

The star wheel is for fine adjustments, move the housing full forward then adjust as necerssary. Also back the pre boost screw out so your not smoking everywhere. Aswell a 10 plates a bit of a waste, cut a 0 or 100 for free and tune it to proper fuel levels. Much better fuel curve than a 10. The 10 is ok but no point wasting money when you could make a 100 for free. Also if your running stock boost on a stock turbo many of the afc and plate mods don't help that much other than excess smoke. And a gsk will really wake everything up, with a stock governer your just making a slow truck slightly faster and worse on fuel.

Old 12-11-2014, 10:28 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my truck has mods below and i havent ever seen egts higher then 1100 without the delivery valves (havent had time to run them trucks in the shop) and that was pegged for a good 30 seconds although that was when it was 30*F outside. your best bet would be gov springs right away, and boost elbow for around $100 they do so much to the truck. then 0 the fuel plate slide it, and back the star wheel off a little if you dont want smoke, the star wheel adjust pre boost fuel (lower rpm) or at least that what ive heard and it seems to hold true. with those simple cheap mods you will have a very fun truck. any more then that and i would highly recommend gauges especially if u pull anything.