12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

215 HP P-7100 Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 11:23 PM
Bombardier
Received 607 Likes on 502 Posts
Default 215 HP P-7100 Question

number 1 how much of a difference will i see changing my current 180 pump out with it?

number 2 what are they going for used?

number 3 how much am i prolly lookin' at having a shop "work" it?

i may have found one CHEAP!!!! and i'd like to add this to my truck if it'll help a bunch.....

current setup -

370 marine injectors, 100 plate(stock position), htt manifold and 64/71/14 turbo. 4"dp to stacks, 191dv's, K&N intake tube and heatshield..... everything else is stock perty much and i made 358/727 with very minimal tuning after the turbo, injectors, and dv's..... talking with Stuckey racing driver/machinest Phil Palmer he told me to go back to the stock DV's as i was fueling too much at lower rpm's...... any input is appreciated.....

Old 04-15-2008, 11:57 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 87 Likes on 64 Posts

#1-Depends on how much you spend getting the pump work done.

#2-Used-I have seen the 913's knock down anywhere up to a $1,000 depending on what condition they were in.

#3-This can only be answered when you chat with your pump man and he knows what you desire to do with the truck.Minor work from a couple of Hundred to Thousands of dollars depending on what you want done and how wild you want it.Its a game I like to call...."Cubic Money"..Or..How much you want to spend to net you the results you desire.

Here is what I can offer after spending cash to have two pumps built.
First throw all you learned on the internet out the window because in your pump mans world,they walk different sides of the street.You will also have to learn to be paitent as your working on his schedule not yours and a good pump man is worth the wait.Also all this 0plate,100 plate,lazer cuts internet mumbo jumbo will not apply towards your new pump.He will tell you what it flows in CC's at max and when and were it goes into max rack travel.He will also,if he is a knowlegable pump man,tell you full cuts have no place on the street and you can gain what you want without them IF you listen to him,After all,isn't that what you paying him for?.Remember also when you do this that no two pump shops rate their flow rates the same which means you may be told by the man who did yours it flowed xxx cc's and if taken elsewhere it may read something different,this will also require your paitence and trust of his work.

I have two units which were built by the same man.Both were 913's and one was the pump off of my Red truck.I had a shop inside it and when they were done they quoted me it flowing over 500cc's of fuel yet when I dynoed I could not fall over 400hp.It made me seek out a good pump man and have the first pump built so I could remove mine and bench it.The new pump was done and installed with a flow rate on his stand at 500cc's with high flow DV's.Back to the dyno I went and laid down a respectable 499hp,made max power 2500,made max torque at 2000 and was still pulling torque at 3200 when we lifted.The pump we removed dropped like a stone above 2900 and created so much heat it was sickening.That pump is still on my truck and has been driven the last two years like it was installed as I have never made any adjustments to it.

Back to my old pump..
It was supposed to have full cut valves,5k rpm kit and had been modified to flow big fuel.When it was dropped onto the stand and ran as it come off my truck it flowed 360cc's of fuel at max travel with no afc attached.With the AFC attached and operational it flowed only 310cc's and up high it fell on its nose.It was found to have the retarding barrel and plungers(not condusive to power and the other shop should have know that) and only had 5 cut valves in it and one high flow.I knew it idled wrong from the day I got it back and never knew why,I knew when my pump man showed me.That pump is here now,done waiting for a set of twins for my truck to handle it as its way to much for a single.

My point,your 180 will make the power you want but if you can pick up a 215 cheap then I would have it built.Just make sure you prepare yourself as the cost is not cheap but once you have one built you will never regret it.Good luck and I hope I helped......Andy

The following users liked this post:
Benjamin (04-16-2008)
Old 04-16-2008, 12:08 AM
Bombardier

thanks Andy that there is a TON of usefull info. i'll prolly have a guy i know out of Florida do the pump work as he does all of Stucky Racings pumps. obviously he knows his stuff as 99% of the racers around here turn to him for work. I'm gonna call tomorrow to comfirm the price on the pump but it looks to be less than 100 bux and looking at things even if it is junk it'll well cover the core charge if i get one from somewhere..... i'm hoping to talk them into a package deal as they have a bunch of other stuff i'd love to get my hands on for my truck, wife permitting.....

Old 04-16-2008, 08:16 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 87 Likes on 64 Posts

No problem....
I agree even if its for a core that at that price you should pick it up.Key things to keep in mind as I have already said,paitence and listening to what he tells you.You will need to get the pump back and install it to redo your baseline.If your doing the removal of your old one and the install of the new pump have them pin it at the desired timing you want which will allow for easier install for the novice.If they are going to do the switch then its a moot point as they will set the timing where you and him decide will be right for your deal.

There is no price I can honestly say you can put on having a good shop do your pump and once you get one done you will understand.It was some of the best money I spent and each time I talk with him I learn something new.I am glad to have helped......Andy

The following users liked this post:
Benjamin (04-16-2008)
Old 04-23-2008, 02:42 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really don't think you would be doing yourself all that much better with the 215 pump couldn't really hurt to have it laying around though if your gonna pick it up for cheep

Old 04-24-2008, 12:09 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I wish I could find a deal like that!!

Old 04-24-2008, 12:15 AM
Bombardier

well i called yesterday and talked to a lady there and she checked on it and said it would be $75 and they would have to remove it off the motor..... i also got a set of front springs for $50 for the pair..... $150 shipped for everything and i should have it here by Monday or Tuesday..... hopefully there wasn't an error in the system or their heads and i accually get a p-pump..... i'll definately update ya'll when things come in.....

Old 04-24-2008, 12:16 AM
Bombardier

Originally Posted by plvaulter06
I really don't think you would be doing yourself all that much better with the 215 pump couldn't really hurt to have it laying around though if your gonna pick it up for cheep
i dono either but it helps me eliminate downtime with the truck getting my one and only pump built...... and it's always nice to have a spare.... now for a head to send to the machine shop...... and a couple extra turbo's.....

Old 04-24-2008, 12:53 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Benjamin
well i called yesterday and talked to a lady there and she checked on it and said it would be $75 and they would have to remove it off the motor..... i also got a set of front springs for $50 for the pair..... $150 shipped for everything and i should have it here by Monday or Tuesday..... hopefully there wasn't an error in the system or their heads and i accually get a p-pump..... i'll definately update ya'll when things come in.....
Does she have any more?

Old 04-24-2008, 12:35 PM
Bombardier

like i'd tell you if they did......... i'll tell you how i found it. go to Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market and search for fuel pump, fuel injection pump diesel MT, and search all the junkyards around you or open up the radious up some like 2-300 miles.... this place is 210 miles from me..... 25 bux for shipping makes me happy.... alot cheaper for fuel up there and back.