12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

Tired of the BS with upgrading mechanical lift pump

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 06:05 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Tired of the BS with upgrading mechanical lift pump

I've searched forum site after forum site, thread after thread and I still find myself with no clear answer to my search. I am looking to upgrade my lift pump, after reading Tork Tek's fuel pump write up (Tek Articles) I realized the factory mechanical lift pump is not efficient at high RPMs.

My truck is used as my daily driver, and most the time I drive like an old man. A small percentage of the time I do like to bring the RPMs up and race the truck.

I want to stick with a mechanical lift pump because of the reliability. The only ones I know of are the Fuel Boss/MITUSA/DDT Assassin and also the Waterman style that uses a billet cover.

For electric obviously Air Dog and Fass are always talked about. But there are casual problems all over the web about those set-ups. Fuelab recently came out with their own, a brush-less motor design that sounds better, but since it is still electric, I'm sure there are reliability problems to go with their 2 year warranty.

I contacted a highly popular company for selling such parts, I asked about the Waterman and was curious as to whether it would be reliable for daily driving. The reply I received was that the Waterman pump is for competition use and is no good for street driving. They recommended the Fass because "they have been selling them for years and not a single failure." Stating also that it was the most reliable pump on the market today.

I was outraged because a simple Google search pulls up pages of people stating their Fass failed on them. Whether is was the motor going out, or a simple fuse. BOTH can leave someone stranded and in my thoughts doesn't make either "the most reliable". I felt lied to and would prefer not to do business with such a company.

Can anyone with experience, let me know if there are any other MECHANICAL lift pumps for these 12vs that can be used for daily driving and high power fun?

Thanks,
Hopefully this can help others since there are countless threads on the web about such pumps but none have been answered.

Old 09-06-2013, 10:53 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 142 Likes on 136 Posts

I was concedering runnig a Holley Marine pump for diesel ... I will look it up and post a thread when I find the darn thing again ..... shouldda set it as a fav...

Old 09-07-2013, 06:23 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

Unless you're building a sled puller/dyno queen the stock LP is fine, and it doesn't sound like you are. I've stayed away from electric "upgrades" myself for the same reason, I drive this truck all over New England for work- thousands of miles a month- and can't afford to have an issue 250 miles from home that I can't fix with whatever's in my tool box. I heard some horror stories about the stock mechanical LP failing and not making enough pressure, and started looking into upgrades as I worried. Then I put a gauge on it and realized it was fine. My original LP is still going strong at 15 years old and over 300K on it, making great pressure hot, cold, idle and load. I see no reason to get rid of it or complicate the situation. If you're concerned about it failing, get a spare. The OEM LP is small, relatively cheap and fairly simple to change once you've done it. My motto with my cars/trucks/bikes has always been "when something breaks, upgrade", but in this case I've found the conventional wisdom "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" goes a long way too.

Old 09-07-2013, 08:47 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 104 Likes on 101 Posts

think about it. how many people post on the internet about how well a part worked verse a problem they are having with a part. i bet its about 5% good 95% bad. if airdogs, raptors, Fass were all junk than nobody would have them on their trucks, right? truth is that the vast vast majority of people that modify their trucks use one of these electric pumps with absolutely no issues what so ever for the life of their trucks. its that one in 10000 that someone installed wrong and bad mouths the company and starts a rumor. (most of the time) there will always be upset customers and the occasional bad part. this is why company's offer warranties. we sell airdogs and raptors all the time and to my knowledge, have never had a product failure. the original FASS systems had there kinks but for the most part worked very well. you have to be super cautious as to what to believe on the net. where are you located? stop by a shop that sells these pumps and ask some questions. they will tell you what works best for them and what they would run on your application.

Old 09-07-2013, 11:13 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 142 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by turbo2332
think about it. how many people post on the internet about how well a part worked verse a problem they are having with a part. i bet its about 5% good 95% bad. if airdogs, raptors, Fass were all junk than nobody would have them on their trucks, right? truth is that the vast vast majority of people that modify their trucks use one of these electric pumps with absolutely no issues what so ever for the life of their trucks. its that one in 10000 that someone installed wrong and bad mouths the company and starts a rumor. (most of the time) there will always be upset customers and the occasional bad part. this is why company's offer warranties. we sell airdogs and raptors all the time and to my knowledge, have never had a product failure. the original FASS systems had there kinks but for the most part worked very well. you have to be super cautious as to what to believe on the net. where are you located? stop by a shop that sells these pumps and ask some questions. they will tell you what works best for them and what they would run on your application.
I would tend to agree with ya on this, I have herd that most of the failures are due to negligence and or over taxing the pump ect......
Everything to a degree has its failure point ...... I believe if you stay within the manufacturers suggested range of voltage and flow rating , you should not have any issues, I too know people that have FASS and Raptor systems ... no issues ....

Old 09-09-2013, 10:39 AM
Diesel Fan

Thanks guys!

JBearSVT, I have the same mindset you once had. During WOT on my truck, the fuel pressure goes pretty low, about 13 PSI currently, and I have noticed it has gone down over time.

Turbo2332, 4x4mamonbroke you both have valid points. I wish the electronic pumps had a better rep than they do with the ones that have criticized them, and I'm curious to how many of those people have pushed them past their rating since most people it seems try to force every drop of fuel they can out of their engine regardless of how destructive it can be.

Last thing I want is to be stranded somewhere with no cell signal, or even have tiny problems to deal with if I'm on the go.

The reason I was leaning away from the factory lift pump is the Tork Tek article posted above, showed how inefficient the factory lift pump is as such high RPMs such as around 4,000.

Old 09-09-2013, 02:15 PM
Diesel Bomber

You spend a lot of time at 4K?

Old 09-09-2013, 06:06 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 104 Likes on 101 Posts

ditto, so you might not want to rev the truck to 4k keep it in the 3k range. give and take.

Old 09-09-2013, 06:10 PM
Diesel Bomber

Most people who have 4K governor springs can't even spin to anywhere near 4K. I'm sure there are exceptions, but for the most part I don't see why an inefficiency in that range is a problem. It's almost like saying you need different injectors because the stock ones down run well on gasoline, isn't it?

Old 09-09-2013, 07:02 PM
Diesel Fan

No I have never been to 4k, highest I've taken it to was 3,500. I was exaggerating some so if hypothetically, anyone came back to say yes, here is a pump good for daily driving and 4k, then I know darn well that 3.5k will be no problem at all.

I get your statement above, but the reason why I said the factory lift pump becomes inefficient in that RPM Range, is in Tek Article One, of Tork Tek's article I linked in the first post, says that after 2,200 RPM the fuel flow decreases. and at 4,000 RPM the pump is only 18.6% efficient.

The P7100 does like good pressure to it, I know the factory lift pump CAN fuel to 4k, but I would like something to fuel efficiently in all RPM range.

Quick Reply: Tired of the BS with upgrading mechanical lift pump