12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

NV4500 Horrible vibration problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 01:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question NV4500 Horrible vibration problems

-Ok, so I have this issues with a bad vibration coming from my gear shifter.
-98' Nv4500 4x4 has 5th gear fix with upgraded 1 3/8 input shaft with a Southbend Dual disc 950+hp clutch w/ brass flywheel inserts.
-Seems like it has a small vibration at an idle from the shifter (could just be my paranoia)
-Seems to shift fine (granted I haven't driven a good 4500 anytime recently so i could be wrong )
-When in 3 its noticeable, 4th its vibrating but not horrible.. does not really get much of a worse vibration (maybe a little) under acceleration.
-5th its really vibrating pretty hard now, not really shaking the stick much... but its defiantly got a horrible vibration from the shifter from top all the way down as far as I can reach past the boot, And it defiantly gets worse under acceleration and speed.
-It vibrates pretty bad in 5th @ 50mph plus it progressively gets worse, 70+mph is just ridiculous.
-If I do a hard acceleration the vibration gets extremely bad and feels like it loses grab
-If i take it out of gear at any decent speed, you can still feel a noticeable vibration coming from the shifter
-Can't really hear any noticeable transmission over the sound of the pickup.

-I Have a couple ideas related to the clutch maybe (unbalanced or warped), clutch release fork and throw out bearing not fully engaging?
-Is an older clutch I had used it one of my other pickups for a while before putting it this one.
-When installed I'm not sure if I took the washer out or not behind the pivot ball... I had it in and out several times before I figured out the clutch fork had a flat spot on it and gave it the correct clearance to bolt up, fallowed torque spec on flywheel and pressure plate.
-Maybe a bad bearing in the transmission?
-Can't feel any vibration through the transfer case shifter.

Anyone have any thoughts or someway I could narrow it down to something without tearing through the whole thing?

Thanks for any help guys.