12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

transfer case poping out of 2hi high pitched grinding in 2hi and 4hi

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 08:52 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default transfer case poping out of 2hi high pitched grinding in 2hi and 4hi

alright please help me solve this problem.

transfer case is popping out of 2 hi and wont go into 4hi with out a high pitched grinding. only gear the truck can be driven in is 4 lo without grinding .and no grinding in neutral

i have already tried to manually engage everything with out the vaccum and bought the 4x4 posi lock kit, i have split the transfer case and everything worked as it should off the truck but once put back on the truck it will stay in 2hi until i make a sharp right handed turn or get on it hard and let off then the transfercase will pop out in and only go into 4 low.

i have adjusted the linkage many times and even left it off with the transfer case lever in 2hi and it still popped out.

the chain didnt look streched the two shift forks didnt look bent no exsesive metal shavings and the only slight ware on the gear teeth where on the dog gear that reduces the the ratio from hi to lo.

I have been told that since i did the 5 speed swap and changed the input shaft out to the 29 spline that it might be the inputshaft bearing need to be changed from the 16mm to the wider 24mm but i have been driving on my conversion for almost 2 years without a single problem. is there somthing else i should have changed out when i did the conversion the case is a 241 dld but even with a auto it came with 16mm or 24mm inputshaft bearing

any input guys thanks in advance!!