24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Tranny issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 09:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tranny issues

I have a 2001 2500 4wd. Nothing super special; new (stock) clutch less than 50K. I've never had any transmission issues (maybe a bit of clutch fluid leaking) until driving down the highway today. Had issues getting it up into 3rd gear from a stop light, and my shifter was shaking unbelievably. I had to rev match it (2000rpm) to get into gear. All other gears were fine. Downshifting to the next stoplight, I couldn't get it into 3rd at all. When I took off it went into 3rd beautifully, but was shaking unbelievably again, and when I put it into 4th and took my foot off the clutch, KABOOM! No more 3rd and 4th gear...

Anyone else ever have a problem like this?
I don't know whether I should take it apart and see what went wrong (I am no transmission expert by any means), and maybe rebuild it -possibly build it up a bit more, or just buy a rebuild and throw that in?

Not the happiest girl around at the moment!

Old 06-10-2012, 01:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if i were you i would build up that tranny especially since your hauling a trailer and its chipped. dodges stock trannys will not hold up to the cummins power. it is one of dodges biggest weak link. its expensive but worth it.

Old 06-11-2012, 04:40 PM

Yes, that's what I was thinking; If I have to split the tranny she is getting an upgrade. For all I know it is upgraded --she's a former logging truck, with a PTO, and I would think they would have upgraded at least the main shaft. However, that being said, someone took the time and money to put an Edge in, yet the air intake is still stock. That seems a bit off to me (maybe it's just me). Guess I will find out!

Any suggestions on upgrades?

Old 06-11-2012, 07:28 PM

other than the shaft and bands im honestly not too sure. im not too savvy on trannys but i do know (from research)you dont want stock with it chipped. what little i do know about upgrades (which at this point is the shaft and bands) i learned from a co worker who is always upgrading and is very savvy on anything dodge including the tranny. unfortunately i cannot say what i did to my truck because i dont know what was done to my truck as i bought it the way it is with all the upgrades already done. just being straight with you so i dont cause you to chase your tail and get nowhere. and just a thought but, i know the clutch is not too old but prolly wont hurt to inspect it. the only upgrade i know of for clutches is switching to ceramic clutch.
good luck with it

Old 06-12-2012, 02:15 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by scarnes
other than the shaft and bands im honestly not too sure. im not too savvy on trannys but i do know (from research)you dont want stock with it chipped. what little i do know about upgrades (which at this point is the shaft and bands) i learned from a co worker who is always upgrading and is very savvy on anything dodge including the tranny. unfortunately i cannot say what i did to my truck because i dont know what was done to my truck as i bought it the way it is with all the upgrades already done. just being straight with you so i dont cause you to chase your tail and get nowhere. and just a thought but, i know the clutch is not too old but prolly wont hurt to inspect it. the only upgrade i know of for clutches is switching to ceramic clutch.
good luck with it
Not to be picky or anything but your talking auto and manual as if its the same trans. Dodge manuals are strong stock, just od gear issues on some and require special oil. No bands and all that jazz in a manual.

Old 06-12-2012, 02:31 AM

im sorry almostclassy for wasting your time. thank you wyodiesel92 for your input and correction. i definitely stepped out of my skill level in this matter.

Old 06-12-2012, 01:09 PM
Diesel Wrench

What trans do you have? 6 or 5 speed? If its a 6 your looking at a remanufactured trans as no one seems to rebuild them besides the companies making remans. 5 speed you can get rebuilt with upgraded parts. Id take it to a shop of your not confident in your wrench turning abilities because rebuilding a trans is not super easy by anymeans and you can get into issues if you rebuild improperly.

Old 06-12-2012, 03:38 PM

It's a 5spd. A buddy offered to guide me through it (He is a mechanic for Chrysle. No help in suggesting upgrades though; but quick to shoot down any ideas he doesn't think would be suitable). A stock reman at a shop seems to run me the same cost as minorly upgrading it myself, from what I've found.

Old 06-12-2012, 04:25 PM
Diesel Wrench

To get the most out of your 5 speed depending on if your going to make power with your truck id start with a bigger input shaft, full splined main shaft, and that takes care of two of the most common problems with that trans. Input will require a diff clutch though. Full splined mainshaft will fix 5th gear issues and add strength. If your not going to do much with the truck power wise such as onlu a tuner exhaust and add intake id just do the main shaft because an input upgrade isnt needed at low power levels.