24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

hotrod vp44 and edge issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2014, 09:36 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default hotrod vp44 and edge issues

Hello, let me first start out by saying ive had a first gen 12v for awile but i just picked up a 1998.5 24v built twin turbo truck. now the truck once had an older edge on it but it was removed by the second to previous owner because the previous owener didnt have enough cash to get that along with some other things. i just last night put an edge juice with attitude on and the truck currently has a hotrod vp44 fead by an airdog 150. all was well heading down my road to test everything and once i hit level 5 i gunned it and took off like a bat out of hell but suddently i relized once i started to slow down that my truck was acttually not running anymore so i had to get dragged back down the road to my house. now im aware that this isnt the first time this issue has happened. its common to get air in the vp44 when you use an edge but with a stock pump... i have the stock pump plus an airdog on a sump. i cant seem to figure out how i could have airlocked and or killed my fancy $1700 vp44 wheni have everthing required to never let it go dry. i havent had a chance to try and bleed the system and i hope i didnt fry my vp44 but with that aside i need to no if any one has any ideas to how i could have had this issue even though i have a bottom tank sump feeding an airdog AANNDD the stock pump. any input would be GREATLY appreciateed.

Old 10-11-2014, 11:03 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Did you happen to see your fuel pressure when you were romping on it?

Old 10-11-2014, 12:06 PM
Diesel Fan

i just bled the system and got her running..thank god !... i went to the back yard and did a bunch of launches on level 5 on the edge... i seemed to be running between 13-15 psi off the airdog the whole time then boom same problem... i bled the 134 lines again and shes running again... i dont understand where the air is coming from.

Old 10-11-2014, 02:39 PM
Diesel Fan

im also having issues with my built goerend trans...its a stage 3... when i do a very hard boosted launch or a launch in 4x4 it launches great but then wont shift into the next gear and then it wont shift right for awhile and then goes back to normal after a while... i have no idea what thats all about either...

Old 10-14-2014, 06:23 PM
Diesel Fan

ill update this for anyone that may come by it in the future with the same original problem.... my twin turbos where pushing so much my over sized injectors where getting air literally shoved up them and causing air to get into the injections lines when i got off it to soon when i was on extreme tuning. and as far as the tranny... i just simply broke that...

Old 10-14-2014, 07:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by yjay
Did you happen to see your fuel pressure when you were romping on it?
I do not have a fuel pressure gauge nor have I checked it. What sucks is my diesel shop is backed up tell the 25th. My date to get new injectors and lift pump.( ignore this, wrong thread)

Last edited by 01cumminsboy; 10-14-2014 at 07:43 PM. Reason: Wrong thread
Old 01-18-2016, 12:15 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by justinsbeck
ill update this for anyone that may come by it in the future with the same original problem.... my twin turbos where pushing so much my over sized injectors where getting air literally shoved up them and causing air to get into the injections lines when i got off it to soon when i was on extreme tuning. and as far as the tranny... i just simply broke that...
Hey I just upgraded my pump to the hotrod pump. I'm running 100 horse sticks with 150 airdog but I'm using the draw tube not factory tank sump. What injectors are you running. I'm only running stock charger with the wicked wheel so I don't think I'll run into the airlock issue I'm just trying to get some insight from some guys who are running the hotrod pump