24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

bad injection pump?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 07:54 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bad injection pump?

I have a 2001 2500 4x4. A week ago i noticed the truck cutting out, i was accelerating moderately and only on level one.(edge jwa cts hot unlock) The sputter got worse as i turned the programmer up. I have a 150 airdog, and i changed the fuel filters shortly after. When i changed the fuel filters i checked to see if it made a difference. I put the truck in 4x4 and boosted it up in reverse and got tons of black smoke. I then tried it in drive and just got a little bit of black smoke (I don't care about how much smoke my truck makes, just using smoke as a reference) Going down the road and accelerating i can still feel it cutting out, and if i'm just cruising with the edge turned to 6 it sometimes goes crazy cutting in and out just as fast as one can think. i tried unplugging the edge from the dlc and it still seemed to cut out. I just today replaced my batteries, one cable end, and checked the pump wire where i tapped into it with the edge(it appears to be fine,i even unplugged the edge wire from it and plugged it back in). Also all the grounds appear to be fine. I did pull a p1689 and a p1693 and cleared them but they have not came back yet.(approximately 100 miles) I know most people will say that it is the pump because of the p1689, which is unfortunately probably right, but i dont know because of the fact that i have no mil and the truck seems to be making the power it should when in reverse. has anyone had a similar problem or extensive knowledge on this sort of problem? any and all knowledgeable responses would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

Old 07-29-2013, 08:38 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

yes i have. still going 6 months later. once in a blue moon i get the issue at 20 psi. mine was the same no matter what level im in on the tuners.

Old 07-30-2013, 05:21 PM
Diesel Fan

thanks. What did you do to make this problem go away? were your symptoms exactly the same as mine?(smoke in reverse not in drive, cutting out). You have a quadzilla? does that programmer tap into the fuel pump wire also?

Old 07-30-2013, 08:51 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

It does tap into the fuel wire. I just turned my quad to zero and left the smarty on 8 and it.worked itself out. I thought mine was because of.my bigger injectors. Are you still running stock ones? have you checked for codes? Its hard to smoke my truck in reverse unless I boost it up and launch it .

Old 07-30-2013, 09:55 PM
Diesel Fan

yes i still have stock injectors... another problem i noticed is that i"m having some problems with my oil psi gauge on the cts only. i have talked to edge and will talk to them tomorrow again but i'm wondering if its not just a problem with my progammer? I turned my programmer to 0 (stock) and i haven't noticed any problems during the 60 miles i have put on it since(similar to your symptoms) have you since turned your quad back above stock? and if so does the problem consistently persist?

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

I've checked for codes and the ones i posted about in the original posting (only ones ever recovered) have not reappeared. Before the problem arrived i was able to blow limitless black smoke when placing the transfer case in 4wd and placing the transmission in any forward or reverse gear, stepping on the brake and pressing the loud pedal. now it is only in reverse when i can get it to smoke excessively

Last edited by cody at sunny slope; 07-30-2013 at 09:55 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost