Diesel Bombers SIGN UP NOW

National Association of Diesel Motorsports
Go Back   Diesel Bombers > Dodge Cummins > 1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Registered Members don't see these ads. Register now it's free!

1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Welcome to Diesel Bombers Forums!
Welcome to DieselBombers .com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Diesel Bombers Forums community today!

Hey guys I am going to pull my engine out. I just want some one to tell me how to go about doing this. I've never done it before but I've heard it's not too bad. Any help is greatly appreciated.... JOIN NOW TO REMOVE TRACER

submit to reddit

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-18-2013, 12:52 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Default Need help with pulling engine out

Hey guys I am going to pull my engine out. I just want some one to tell me how to go about doing this. I've never done it before but I've heard it's not too bad. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 07-18-2013, 02:07 PM
Diesel Bomber

What are you using for a hoist? I've not done it yet myself, but if I were getting ready to do it I believe I would want the rad core support out. Maybe not necessary, but might make it easier, overall.
Old 07-18-2013, 02:53 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Considering a striped 6BT block weights 1,000lbs, I'd pull the core support too. The engine and transmission harness are one piece. So make sure you don't miss something. Other than that, they are fairly straight forward.

cougar's Sig:1992 W250 auto
RIP 1991.5 W250 5 speed 1991.5-2013 fair well old friend
Old 07-18-2013, 03:23 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

I'm probably gonna just use a 1 ton engine hoist. That should be fine. And alright cool thanks for the help guys.
Old 07-19-2013, 12:19 AM
Diesel Wrench

http://www.facebook.com/1stgensmoke

View Member's Albums

Hate to say it but Cougar your wrong a 5.9l 12v weights 980 pounds fully dressed. I had my 93 ready to pull in 3 hours but then again I'd worked on it so much.

If your pulling just the engine, take your intercooler tubes out of the truck, 7/16 or 11 nuts on the clamps, Same with the exhaust pipe n intake tube, then undo the top n bottom rad hoses use the same socket to undo the top rad brackets take them off n the rad will lift right out after you take off the fan shroud clips then pull the shroud, then undo the 4 10mm or 3/8 bolts holding the fan bracket to the block, then the two fuel lines, throttle cable u need a pair of needle nose for, then undo all the wires on the drivers side, block heater plug, hood comes off with 4 13mm or half inch bolts, then the bell housing bolts I think at 14mm or 9/16 then if it's an auto under the inspection cover n under the torque converter bolts, then that leaves you with two 19mm or 3/4" nuts and two 10mm or 3/8 bolts holding the brackets to the engine holding and rubber mounts and two coolant lines to the heater core inside the cab and if it's an auto tranny cooler lines. Oh yeah unbolt the vacuum/power steering pump from the engine n wire it up onto the fender.

The turbo, starter, alternator, intake horn, water pump all that good stuff can stay on the motor, and the ac pump can too if its got one, if it's got AC the system has to be drained by a pro. then just lift slide her forward

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Have fun a engine can be re n re'd in a day if you got the tools.

1stgenblowingsmoke's Sig:94 3/4 ton 5 speed 4wd, 4" exh, 100 plate, AFC modded tuned n slid, 33's, exhaust brake etc.
Dads truck. 96 5 speed 4x4 exh brake n 4"tbe, BHAF, 3k gov spring, fp slid forward,OFV.

Last edited by 1stgenblowingsmoke; 07-19-2013 at 12:19 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-19-2013, 11:31 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1stgenblowingsmoke View Post
Hate to say it but Cougar your wrong a 5.9l 12v weights 980 pounds fully dressed. I had my 93 ready to pull in 3 hours but then again I'd worked on it so much.
No worries, just depends on were your info came from. The article I read a long block weighs in at right around 1Klbs. Still pretty darn heavy if you drop it
Old 07-19-2013, 01:24 PM
Diesel Bomber

View Member's Albums

I had always read that it was around 1100 lbs who knows, I'd unbolt the AC pump and leave it with the truck so it dosn't have to be drained.

tiremann9669's Sig: 96 12 valve Club Cab 4X4, K&N Intake,4'' Straight Pipe, 285/75R16 Bridgestone Revo's,on 16X8 American Racing Black steelies, Firestone ride rite airbags Future Bombs Guages, Aftermarket lift pump, Fuel plate, Injectors,etc,etc,etc Oh Yea I'm sure a clutch will come into the picture sometime too
Old 07-19-2013, 01:27 PM
Diesel Bomber

Originally Posted by tiremann9669 View Post
I'd unbolt the AC pump and leave it with the truck so it dosn't have to be drained.
That's a good idea - it's on the bottom and the lines aren't really in the way.
Old 07-20-2013, 01:21 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

If you pull the core support, you'll have to drain it to get the condenser out of the way. Or you can cut the support so you can slip the condenser out through the radiator hole. Then put an angle bracket on it to bridge the gap after you put it back in.
Old 07-20-2013, 02:41 PM
Diesel Bomber

View Member's Albums

Originally Posted by cougar View Post
If you pull the core support, you'll have to drain it to get the condenser out of the way. Or you can cut the support so you can slip the condenser out through the radiator hole. Then put an angle bracket on it to bridge the gap after you put it back in.
Good point I never even thought about the condenser, I've never pulled a Cummins just a bunch of gassers.

submit to reddit